Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Not a good dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Default Not a good dealer experience

Took the 2011 Outlander in for the "free" oil change from Mitsubishi.

When it was done, I was looking at the service reciept.

Took 45 minutes and they put in 5w-20 Honda oil.

I turned around and went back to the service wirter and told him of the mistake.

He tried 3 times to assure me that the correct oil was put in.
Each time I told him "show me the paper that says the right oil was put in".

3 times!!! He finally had to ask the tech(?) what went in,he replied 5w-30.

Service (?) mgr asked me if there was a problem while the re-do was being done. Yes, I said.

When I got the car back (2nd time) there was no apollogy, no nothing. They didn't even clean the windshield.

When I got home and cooled down, I called the sales guy I bought it from. He said he was sorry (the world is full of sorry people). He was going to talk to his general manager.

End of story, for now. If anybody wants to know the dealer, PM me.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM

Not sure what your problem is - sorry. Brand of oil is irrelevant as long as it meets the correct API specs (therefore "Honda" oil would have been ok - although of course Honda don't make oil).

Also, 5w30 would have been fine. 5w20 is used to give marginally better fuel economy figures for the manufacturer. 5w30 would cause no probs (or much benefit) and would not invalidate warranty and would be unlikely to noticeably affect economy.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:04 PM

You can always use an oil with a better range, you just don't want to downgrade on oil (ie 10W30 is ok is 10W20 is spec'd, but not if 5W40 were spec'd).

In fact, in many cases using oil other than the normal factory spec is preferred, ie in colder climates.

Not be to rude, but it sounds like you were rude and should let the professionals do what they do on a daily basis. If anything, you should call them and apologize.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by FAUEE
You can always use an oil with a better range, you just don't want to downgrade on oil (ie 10W30 is ok is 10W20 is spec'd, but not if 5W40 were spec'd).

In fact, in many cases using oil other than the normal factory spec is preferred, ie in colder climates.

Not be to rude, but it sounds like you were rude and should let the professionals do what they do on a daily basis. If anything, you should call them and apologize.
While going thicker is generally acceptable...and going from 5w20 to a 5w30 will not hurt anything. That being said, a professional would have gotten the correct oil in the first time. The vehicle spec'd 5w20 and 5w20 was what he should have gotten...irregardless of what works and what doesn't. If a substitute is to be used, it should be discussed beforehand. It is not their vehicle, the customer should have every right to know.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:33 AM

You went in to the dealer for the correct oil change expecting the mechanic to use the correct oil filter and recommended manufacture oil viscosity. The mechanic or dealership used something different than what your owners manual says and you expected. Weather the oil works and is safe isn't the issue. You should have been asked if you wanted that viscosity or not. Maybe that dealership purchased barrels or quarts of 5W20 Honda oil at a discounted price and is making a better profit off of the customers.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by GREG
You went in to the dealer for the correct oil change expecting the mechanic to use the correct oil filter and recommended manufacture oil viscosity. The mechanic or dealership used something different than what your owners manual says
Originally Posted by ccernst
That being said, a professional would have gotten the correct oil in the first time.
The dealer may have used exactly the correct oil as specified in the owners manual. The manual lists recommends alternate viscosity oils depending on the background temperature. Depending on where the OP lived, 5w30 may have been the correct oil in this circumstance.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by benshepherd
The dealer may have used exactly the correct oil as specified in the owners manual. The manual lists recommends alternate viscosity oils depending on the background temperature. Depending on where the OP lived, 5w30 may have been the correct oil in this circumstance.
True but from what milliesdad said the dealer service manager didn't say that the oil that was put into the Outlander was recommended for the outlander because of the owners location circumstances. I agree with you ben.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by benshepherd
The 2011 Outlander, 2.4L uses 0w-20 synthetic.

The owners manual is very specific on what is needed in the engine, there is no alternate viscosities to choose from. There is also a decal on the engine, stating what type oil is to be used.

I my expectation is to have the dealer install the correct viscosity of oil.

He didn't.

That is my point.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:43 AM

milliesdad,
I can understand your frustration, although ultimately I think that your engine would be quite happy with the alternate oil and possibly better off depending on where you live and the climate etc.
However, if the dealer had discussed with you first, it would probably have avoided the resulting dispute.
Best option is to change your own oil. Much cheaper (except in this case where you got it for free) and then you will know what is in there. (Also, means I don't need to remind myself how to reset the service interval computer as US dealers seem to love to set it to every 3k so they can make more money on unnecesary oil changes!)

Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 AM

OK, now that someone had mentioned it, I am now curious about it. the last post mentioned every 3K for oil change. Can the outlander go with out a change every 3K miles? im used to changing it every 3K miles, but if i can change my oil later that would be a great cost savings. ALSO mentioned the type of oil Viscosity and certain climate changes, Im from NYC, i use 5w20, will using 5w30 be better off? where would viscosity be a factor on where you live. lastly i will say sorry if i jumped to a different subject. last time I asked a question with in a post that was slightly off topic someone had a hard on for me.

Last edited by cheech; 09-02-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Not a good dealer experience