Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Onstar FMV

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Default Onstar FMV

Just an FYI. Onstar is now offering some of its services for non GM vehicles. You purchase the Onstar FMV mirror, have it installed, and then subscribe to the service.

When I checked if it's compatible with the Outlander it didn't say it was, but that may only be because they haven't tested it on the Outlander yet. As we know when some new aftermarket thing comes out they concentrate testing on the Honda's, Toyota's, etc because there are many more of them on the road.

If I could verify it worked with my 08 ES I would consider the basic service. Out here in the west when we travel on vacation cities are far and few between and cell phone service outside of metro areas is spotty at best.

Navigation System, Auto Security, Vehicle Diagnostics - OnStar - OnStar.com

Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 PM

OnStar is cell phone based. It uses Verizon's network and it overrated at best.

You can do a lot better yourself with a smartphone. As an aside, this is a "hail mary" for OnStar, their services were continually losing money and are nearly universally hated. It was thought that they were going to be phased out with "Old GM", but I guess this is their last shot.

Keep in mind, if you purchase this device, OnStar's terms of service state they can track you whenever the hell they want, and sell this information. Even if you get rid of their service.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 PM

That's interesting about Onstar being cell phone based. I was under the impression that Onstar could connect with you even when you were in a remote area where you couldn't get cell phone service. If they're no better than the cell phone service we now have, then I'm not interested.