Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Outlander + 4wd lock + good snow tires = beast (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/outlander-4wd-lock-good-snow-tires-%3D-beast-34710/)

ccernst 01-04-2010 10:30 AM

I just got back in from vacation and while we were gone, Kansas City got hammered with 8 inches of snow. By the time we got back, there was only 5 inches left. Missouri side of KC has no money, so none of the side streets are plowed off yet and some are getting some major ruts/ice blocks/ice holes. We have Firestone Duelers on and wow... Up until now I've felt the thing has been lacking some character...but it is amazing in snow and just got a few points.

tdford 01-04-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by halfasleep (Post 254482)
Is it possible to drive on the highway on 4 WD lock (on snow covered road ) without breaking anything or is it for slow driving ?

Thanx

Nope wont break anything, its not a locking differential. If it starts to overheat then it will automatically switch back to 2WD. this will happen with a lot of wheel spin, like in sand/ice.

rip14 01-05-2010 08:47 AM

We have about 18" of snow here. (45cm)

I feel bad. All these people are stuck on the side of the road and I am passing them up doing the speed limit. :D

I still have stock tires, but with the AWD it's working great.

zlatko1 01-05-2010 01:35 PM

I used to drive last year on 15" snow in auto and LOCK modes, slight difference but perfect. Using Nokian WR2 SUV tyres and they are excellent, can climb on hill 20% covered with heavy snow without problems.
Any way I have serious problems twice when going downhill, once even with small crash. Do not try to drive downhill >15% without chains (even with winter tires), even small ice under snow can make your car twisting and spinning :).
Definitely missing downhill control.

ivanz 01-05-2010 02:56 PM

It's probably a better idea to use engine braking when going downhill (properly of course! Not shifting at the wrong time and causing loss of traction).

rip14 01-05-2010 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by zlatko1 (Post 254564)

Damn you gravity!!! :D

P88dge 01-07-2010 06:51 AM

Hello from London (United Kingdom though!!)
As snow has brought the UK to a standstill, it certainly hasent me!!, my Outlander is great in the snow, and with 18inch road tyres, I live at the top of a steep hill (snow+ice covered!), no problem getting up, other cars abandoned everywhere...
good fun with lock mode on tight corners, slow motion slides!!

Outly67 01-31-2012 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by zlatko1 (Post 254564)
I used to drive last year on 15" snow in auto and LOCK modes, slight difference but perfect. Using Nokian WR2 SUV tyres and they are excellent, can climb on hill 20% covered with heavy snow without problems.
Any way I have serious problems twice when going downhill, once even with small crash. Do not try to drive downhill >15% without chains (even with winter tires), even small ice under snow can make your car twisting and spinning :).

That happened me too :))
A small crash while the downhill... From that, we wear winter tires every winter (Falken Eurowinter) (sorry for my english, I'm french I do my best)

armymen 02-01-2012 08:51 AM

i wish i could send the link of the russian guy that do snowboard with the outlander, if somebody remember the link should post it back ;).

I change my 2008 for a 2011 with the S-AWC. I try to found the limite of the system, but we dont have enough snow here yet ( canada, New-brunswick ),

You only know the limite of your system when you get stock so i plan to do that sometime :), lol.

But the AWD system of Mistu is hard to beat :-)

akela 02-05-2012 02:49 AM

Come to Russia, to Saratov - it is a lot of snow.
Outlander on deep snow goes well (tires Goodyear UG500, 225/70 R16, thorns), 4WD Lock.
Be afraid of diagonal posting, in this case the car is helpless