Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander king of beeps

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jizza
I get beeps immediately, my procedure when getting in the car remains the same, get in, start, select the gear I want and then belt up once moving in my drive way.
After looking into the schematics, I don't think the extra switch/button is related to the seatbelt warning. I haven't figured out what it is yet, but don't think it is that. ccernst's last post sounds like the way mine operates. I'm assuming from his profile that his is a US Outie, as is mine. Is your's a US model as well?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 AM
tcp
Default Um.

Pull the seatbelt around the back of the driver's seat and plug it into the socket. Done.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by tcp
Pull the seatbelt around the back of the driver's seat and plug it into the socket. Done.
Seriously?
And in collision belt pretensioners will throw the seat ahead, to finish unfastened and thus already smashed stupid driver by shot in the face airbag (it is designed to inflate BEFORE you hit it, but without belt your flight forward is unrestricted).

Last edited by Vadimus; 10-21-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanx for looking into it.
After taking a ride during lunch, I see that mine does actually beep 6 times right at startup if the buckle isn't latched. I guess it never bothered me enough to realize that is what it is, or I've just become accustomed to it from the Montero Sport I've had for a few years which, I think, does the same thing. As far as the Outie, after driving for awhile without it buckled then the beep starts for like a minute, which is how the service manual describes it to work. So you may be outta luck on getting this turned off.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by tcp
What a brilliant idea.......please refer to my previous posts where I clearly state my intention is to turn the damn beep off, not invent creative ways to kill myself.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by MTWallet
After taking a ride during lunch, I see that mine does actually beep 6 times right at startup if the buckle isn't latched. I guess it never bothered me enough to realize that is what it is, or I've just become accustomed to it from the Montero Sport I've had for a few years which, I think, does the same thing. As far as the Outie, after driving for awhile without it buckled then the beep starts for like a minute, which is how the service manual describes it to work. So you may be outta luck on getting this turned off.
Thanx for your efforts.....one way or another this beep will stop.

There were others in another post on the 2007 Outie who re-routed some wires under the seat, seemed to work but no reports back since.

Anyone do this mod?

Of course some of the wiring under the seat controls sensors for airbags etc so don't want to just go pulling wires.......

Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
just for giggles, have you buckled up before starting to see if there are beeps?

you don't have any service engine soon light illuminated do you? maybe a door sensor thinks the door is open??
There are no beeps if the vehicle is started with the belt on, and before anyone else suggests changing my routine to put the belt on first, please re-read previous posts, shouldn't have to.

No there are no service warnings, no doors ajar, just the seat belt not plugged in, the beeping is related only to the seat belt, again poor design IMO

Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 AM
SLX

There are no beeps if the vehicle is started with the belt on, and before anyone else suggests changing my routine to put the belt on first, please re-read previous posts, shouldn't have to.

No there are no service warnings, no doors ajar, just the seat belt not plugged in, the beeping is related only to the seat belt, again poor design IMO
The problem with this feature is that it does not function as a simple reminder, it functions as an going nag, that assumes the driver is mindless, and that under no circumstance should they unbuckle their seat belt when the vehicle is on.

To disable the mindless seat belt beep mechanically, simply unplug the D28 (Black) seat belt switch connector, that is located among the connector cluster under the driver side seat floor. Upon disconnecting, it will never beep and no messages will be displayed on the info screen.

Last edited by SLX; 10-23-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by SLX
The problem with this feature is that it does not function as a simple reminder, it functions as an going nag, that assumes the driver is mindless, and that under no circumstance should they unbuckle their seat belt when the vehicle is on.

To disable the mindless seat belt beep mechanically, simply unplug the D28 (Black) seat belt switch connector, that is located among the connector cluster under the driver side seat floor. Upon disconnecting, it will never beep and no messages will be displayed on the info screen.
Thanx for the info, would this also disable any other features like airbag, pre-tensioners etc do you know?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 PM
SLX

Thanx for the info, would this also disable any other features like airbag, pre-tensioners etc do you know?

SRS is not disabled according to how it is functioning when the driver's side seat belt switch connector is disconnected.

Any problems encountered (I would assume that would also include a faulty drivers side seat belt switch/circuit) with the SRS, is supposed to trigger an error code in the SRS-ECU and activate the SRS warning light on the info screen.

Therefore, if the control signal received from the seat belt switch/circuit is actually used to determine the operation of the SRS, it should trigger the warning light when the connector is unplugged, which it does not.

Considering that there is no SRS warning light triggered, the SRS is supposed to be fully functional.

Last edited by SLX; 10-23-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Outlander king of beeps