Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander near smash-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Default Outlander near smash-up

Hi guys,

Just benting out some steam re my near smash up of my new Outlander because of some F+-)ng St&544pid A$$ H&8e whorun a red light. I was on my way to work on Friday morning, sun was a bit glary on that day here in Melbourne. I was about to make a right turn inan intersectionon oneof the major roads here and waiting for the right time to make my turn (either you make the turn when it's clear or when the lights is about to turn red - from yellow light), when the oncoming traffic had slowed downand the inner lane cars had stopped, did my turn then suddenly from out of nowhere (actually from the outer lane)this crazyguy zoom past the red light almost t-boned the front of my Outlander. Stepped on my brakes w/the ABS throbbing under my foot steered just in time but not enough, my right front side hit the oncoming car on the front door scrape my front bumper side and hurled the fog light covers in the middle of the traffic.

Stopped on the side road near the intersection to check on the damage, front bumpers came off about half an inch from the front fenders, black spots all over, fog light cover lying in the middle of the road (picked it up afterwards)and the driver and the car who did the thing is nowhere to be found. I don't know if he got scared (he should be)or just ran away.

Still need to go to work, called my wife and cursing the guy who did this crazy thing. Not much I can do, but just hoping that other driver got seriously smashed somewhere else all by himself.

Got back home later in the afternoon, and made the post-mortem. To my amazement, at first look I thought I would be shelling out few hundred dollars for repair but lo and behold, I tried wiping off the black spots and it ALL CAME OFF w/out scraping the paints. I then reattached the fog light cover. For the gap in the bumpers, this time I thought I would be needing to send my car to the panel shop, butI manage to reattached the front bumpers to its original position with the help of my father. We took out the plastic rivets and the nuts underneath the bumpers and repositioned it using the interlocking clips on the bumpers as guide, with a bit of pushing and positioning, we put back the font bumpers to its original position as if nothing had happened. After all what happened I was really very surprise to put it all back without spending a dollar but only sweat and some damaged ego. The only sign of theaccident was small scrape on the lower end of the front bumper and swirl like marks on bumper paints which is next to invincible if viewing it upfront.

The moral of the story, love your Outlander guys, it's one tough sonof B***ch. And to the driver who made this thing, don't run away from this kind of things because Karmawill findit's way in you (if I don't find you first).

(PS, in the heat of the moment I forgot to take pictures of what had happened)

Old 11-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Default RE: Outlander near smash-up

Sorry to hear about that, but pleased you got off light!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 AM

OO Man! So sorry to hear about it...=(
Glad you are safe and your outiee is okay!

Old 11-10-2007, 01:15 PM

Glad you and the outie are ok. You always have to watch out for idiots either on the phone or eating and driving. They are always the people I see run redlights and ignore street signs or do 20mph over the speed limit.