Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Sport and Good MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Default Outlander Sport and Good MPGs

Hey all-

I've decided to start a thread where people with the Outlander Sport / RVR / ASX can post their tips to help folks get better fuel economy.

Here's some of my tips to everyone with the 2.0L/CVT looking to maximize their fuel economy:
  1. Roll the windows up and keep the AC off where feasible when freeway cruising. Use the fan and vent mode if you need fresh air and it's not that hot.
  2. Don't use the throttle as a simple "on" or "off" switch - try to "roll" into the throttle easy from a full stop, let the car build up speed and modulate the throttle so that you accelerate at 2500rpms or under, ideally closer to 2000rpm.
  3. Be aware of your coasting skills. Try to take advantage of the ECU fuel cutoff when you lift your foot off the accelerator when having to slow for traffic or going downhill.
  4. Keep cruising speed at 70mph or less on expressways if you can, the CVT is forgiving in the sense that it helps the engine turn fewer RPMs at any speed but the load on the engine from all the drag kills good fuel economy.
  5. Remember to put the CVT back in full auto mode "D" if you use the paddles to manually shift. As an example...If you use the manual steps in the CVT and cruise in "6" you're turning more RPMs versus when the transmission is in "D" and hurting your overall fuel economy.
  6. Check your tires and make sure they're inflated to the pressure noted on the door jamb sticker.
  7. If you're stuck at a stoplight with a long cycle time (say 3 minutes) - consider shutting the car off, you'll save fuel over the long run and improve your mpgs.
I just fueled up for the 2nd time and I got great results. My cruising speed was about 65mph with 90% of my driving on the freeway. Using most of the above tips helped me to achieve...(drum roll).....33.7mpg (US).

Here's some trip computer screenshots...the MID was consistent again in that it understated my actual average mpg for the tank...

Attached Thumbnails Outlander Sport and Good MPGs-mid1.jpg   Outlander Sport and Good MPGs-mid2.jpg  

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-29-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo, content
Old 07-29-2011, 08:17 AM

thats great! and using the paddle shifters use more gas? i feel like it uses less gas.. i have to try experimenting again.. lol

Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 AM

Xout...I'm not saying you'll use more if you use the paddles....you'll use more if you use the paddles to get up to your final cruise speed on the freeway and leave it in '6' versus going back to 'D' (full auto mode on the CVT)...the final drive ratio is different (less) in full auto mode and you'll turn fewer rpms.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM

ohh so ur saying use the CVT but when hitting the higway shift to "D" when ur at the 6th gear?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM

You got it...remember to put the transmission back into auto "D"...hold down the "+" shifter paddle for at least 3 seconds and it'll go back to auto mode. Overall leave the CVT in auto mode as much as possible if you want the best fuel economy, the CVT will always try to optimize engine speed (rpm) for fuel economy versus leaving it in any of the fixed speeds (e.g. 1 ~ 6).

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-29-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo / content
Old 07-29-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
You got it...remember to put the transmission back into auto "D"...hold down the "+" shifter paddle for at least 3 seconds and it'll go back to auto mode. Overall leave the CVT in auto mode as much as possible if you want the best fuel economy, the CVT will always try to optimize engine speed (rpm) for fuel economy versus leaving it in any of the fixed speeds (e.g. 1 ~ 6).
When i drive my Outalnder I do feel more power but driving in "D" would be the most fuel efficient? I have personally tried to use the CVT and noticed its still very fuel efficient if not better than "D" ... am i mistaken? lol

Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 PM

For most people driving in "D" would be most efficient versus using the paddles. Your driving style and/or management of shift point(s) via the paddles could be an exception.

BUT my example above is correct -> At a given (fixed) speed....driving in "6" will result in higher RPMs than when driving in "D" resulting in lower fuel economy.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 07-29-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: content
Old 07-29-2011, 03:16 PM

ohh i seee.. well this has been very helpful ! i will save money at the pump as well ! thanks for the infor

Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Here's my best segment MPG so far. Average'd around 60mph due to traffic, good amount of coasting and a bit of a downhill segment (5 miles) worked into achieving this figure.

Attached Thumbnails Outlander Sport and Good MPGs-hi_mpg_aug162011.jpg  
Old 08-17-2011, 11:36 AM

using the paddle shifters sucks more gas. you will see the difference at higher speeds. run the car to like 60 in automatic then switch over to manual. you will see the rpms go up. the presets on the gears are set to be more responsive.

make sure your car has plenty of miles on it before you jump to conclusions. i was at 21 when i first bought mine new now im 27 with 8k on it.

the cruise control doesn't help much either at least for me. I live in pa with a bunch of hills so going up and down on the cruise is tough.

Quick Reply: Outlander Sport and Good MPGs