Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Steering loose and pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Default Outlander Steering loose and pulsating

Hi my 1st post so hello, i have a Mitsubishi outlander - 2008 - DI-D - 2.0

Im having some real problems with my steering, at the moment the steering feels really sloppy and the steering wheel pulsates (kick back) in the oppisite direction when im turning.
The steering pulsates while moving or stationary when turning the wheel.

After talking to different people the suggested the power steering pump or steering rack may be at fault.

So i brought myself a recon power steering pump and had my mechanic fit this, included a new belt and new fluid. ( i had my old power steering pump tested and it came back with it 100% working)

The kick back is still present but not as violent but the steering still very light and sloppy feels like im driving in the snow the steering is that easy.

Anyone any ideas what else this could be? Would it be the the rack?

There are no abnormal noises coming from the steering, fluid level is ok, checked for air bubbles in res, checked all wishbones/lower arms, bushes, tierod ends, links, antiroll bar and had my mechanic check the rack for any signs of leaks all seems ok.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM

If this is only an '08, why don't you see if your car is still under warranty? You could end up getting this fixed for nothing.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:50 AM
Default outlander steering

Hi

Ive just bought an outlander 07 and when i turn a corner the steering kicks back. Was just wondering if you were able to find a solution to your problem?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 AM

Unfortunately the steering wheel on the Outlander is very light and loose to begin with. Only remedy is heavier AT tires!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 AM

I have noticed a slight pulsation when turning just enough to change lanes on the interstate. I had always suspected the pump.

I have read where valves in the rack & pinion will produce kickback. When you change your fluid, what do you put in? Power Steering Fluid or ATF?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:05 PM

Hi, i am the original poster of this problem, let me tell you about my experience with my outlander.

Again the outlander would kick back/pulsate when cornering, the importnat bit here to diagnoze your problem is does it do it while stationary? Mine did!

I change the power steering pump - made no difference,
Brought new tyres - no difference

All pointed to the steering rack

Took power steering rack off - tested on machine - test results said it was fine
I did buy a second hand one and had this installed on my car - problem solved! kick back pulsating gone but....... new problem the steering was light and i mean really light i couldnt do over 65mph the car did not seem stable it followed every divit/dip in the road.

If i were you the 1st thing i would do, (i regret this) is to to completely empty the fliud out of the power steering pump and rack and pinion, and refill with the recommended fluid, if this dont work id look for another steering rack. A new rack i was quoted £2500!!! and i spent days phoning firms to re-ferb mine but no one had the parts to do them.

I have now sold the car after the turbo had blown! this was the last straw, also wasnt happy with the steering still, and own a touran now, not as nice as the outlander but much more reliable.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:16 PM

I have recently bought a 57 outlander and when I steer right it kicks back to the left. It's fine when I turn left... Any ideas please?