Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander...That unexpected crappy build quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
Basically I think the Snow stopped at Woodstock...

Im going to Guelph Tomorrow and apparently they have like .5 cm's of snow.
Thanks!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:56 AM

i don't know about some people but i will say my outlander, 07 XLS i have 30kmiles on too and I'm not getting any rattling, still feels new to me. Its not a Cadillac or Benz inside but i don't feel any rattling. Although i do have to bring it in for service, I'm getting a slight wiggle on my mirror but that was after it was hit.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 PM

Also when you close the doors, there is no solid "thunk" sound unlike with Toyota and Honda.
Exactly my feeling!

I am not really interested in Lexus or other luxury brands, I am comparing it to other budget cars and in that case it was also American made Dodge which had more solid feel then Outlander ever did.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by klas
Exactly my feeling!

I am not really interested in Lexus or other luxury brands, I am comparing it to other budget cars and in that case it was also American made Dodge which had more solid feel then Outlander ever did.
Well, when it is to closing doors feeling, Outlander in not even near the solid, heavy fireproof safe impression of my second car, 2005 Ford Freestyle. But who cares about the doors, as Outlanders rides firmly as train, it glues itself to the road no matter how fast you are going or haw hard your are pressing the pedal or turning the steering wheel? When the car still holds the road while I'm already starting sliding out of my seat wishing to have 6 point seatbelts?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 PM

I don't know about "glues itself" I feel much more comfortable cornering in a Sentra then I do in Outlander, which I never really tried to push to its limits because of that feeling. Also, you are referring to Outlander like it should be sports car, which is clearly not the case. It's like the saying "jack of all trades master of none"... which is perfectly fine by me.

If I wanted performance or a bit more luxury there are clearly better choices at the same price point of a fully loaded XLS model.

Last edited by klas; 12-09-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Vault sounding doors are sound engineered by taking money, engineer and time away from the handling group or the power train group.

That is what Dodge did to my neon, it sound solid but don't hit it. Solid feel is achieved by adding damping material inside so the outer shell will not ring on closure. This will only increase weight not rigidity as high strength steel does.

I have seen the result of a motorcycle hitting the back door of an Outlander and there was no penetration My Neon would let the motorcycle ride though the car, but it sound solid.

Sound engineering is done by most manufacturer but the engineer in that group answer to the marketing department Just like the exhaust sound group.

Have a look at this patent
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/61...scription.html
and this
http://www.lmsintl.com/closing-sound-quality-car-door-

Attached Thumbnails Outlander...That unexpected crappy build quality-mitsu-impact.jpg  

Last edited by Claude_A; 01-28-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added Picture
Old 12-09-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by klas
I don't know about "glues itself" I feel much more comfortable cornering in a Sentra then I do in Outlander, which I never really tried to push to its limits because of that feeling. Also, you are referring to Outlander like it should be sports car, which is clearly not the case. It's like the saying "jack of all trades master of none"... which is perfectly fine by me.

If I wanted performance or a bit more luxury there are clearly better choices at the same price point of a fully loaded XLS model.
Actually according to a slalom speed test done by Edmunds.com Outlander GT is the best handling $30K CUV, period. According to the tests, it hanles better than the new Merceded C-Class which says something about its stance to the ground/balance/AWD capability. It really is a nicely balanced car and the 4WD system is especially helpful in rain/snow. This car was tuned for sportier/lively driving. Most domestic CUVs are tuned for straight highway snooze fest.

BMW X6 M: 68.6
2010 Outlander GT: 66.2
Mercedes C Class: 65.8 - (car)
RDX: 65.7
Cayenne Turbo X: 65.2
MB ML63 AMG 64.4
BMW X3: 64.4
07 Outlander XLS: 63.9
BMW X5 M 63.5
MDX: 62.6
LR2: 62
Audi Q5: 61.9
RAV4 LTD: 61.6
MB GLK: 61.3
Forester 2.5XT: 60.3
Murano LE: 59.2
MB ML350: 57.5
Lincoln MKX: 57.3

Old 12-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Claude, depending on your year, I know the guy who did that to the Neons. My dad was engineering manager at United Technologies who made the instrument panel and door panels for the gen1 Neon. They made the part to Mopar spec, Mopar rejected it saying it sounded hollow and plasticy. They slapped some sound-deadening in it, told them they re-designed it, Mopar loved it. They've done the same thing to the Prowler and Cirrus. Dodge didn't spend a dime on that decision. That is up to the company that is subcontracted to make those parts. (Visteon does a lot of work for Ford. Lear does a lot for GM. United Technologies worked with Mopar) As dad says, All the major auto companies have gotten out of the auto manufacturing industry a long time ago...they only design, market, and finance. Manufacturing is sub-contracted out.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
That was a really cool read.

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Actually according to a slalom speed test done by Edmunds.com Outlander GT is the best handling $30K CUV, period. According to the tests....
Is the 2010 USDM GT model the same as the Canadian XLS? Does it have stiffer suspension bits?

-Tim

Old 12-09-2010, 04:41 PM

don't know what your numbers mean, but the difference between Rav4 & Forester is only couple of points and RDX which is about same price for a base one is ahead of Outlander. In any case, I don't argue that Outlander has good handling, but lets go back to the subject, the quality feel of Outlander...

Quick Reply: Outlander...That unexpected crappy build quality