Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander vs. Hyundai Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Default Outlander vs. Hyundai Tucson

The price is almost identical, the MPG is the same, the warranty is exactly the same, the look doesnt matter to me, but they both look pretty similar and I dont really care about the looks so much. Still trying to decide which one has the smoother ride, or quiter ride or better driving visibility. But beyond that, the only 2 other things I care about are the safety and the reliability.

Its probably very stupid to ask which is better at the Mitsubishi website, but here goes. . . Which one of the 2 cars in subject are likely to have the least problems and spend the least time in the repair shop?

And also, Im having a problem checking out the safety reports.

At the NHTSA, there is no record of the crash tests for the Mitsubishi from 2003-2006, but there is a full 5 star rating for the Hyundai.

Now at the http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx, the Hyundai rating is less thana 5 star rating, much less, and the Mitsubishi is there with nearly all G (Good) ratings. Needless to say I find it very strange that the NHTSA, doesnot publish what the other does and how the Hyundai ratings conflict so much with each other.

At this point, Im totally confused. How can I decide? Everything is the same to me, except the discrepancies in the safety. How can I find out which is the safer car? If its possible Id like to also figure out which will cause the least number of mechanical/electrical problems. Aside from those two issues, they are both the same to me. Please help me decide. Im lost.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:25 AM
Default RE: Outlander vs. Hyundai Tucson

Hyundai is an absolutely amazing company! We havn't had any problems with our 2002 Elantra that we purchased brand new. But the new outlander and the new tucson both have just hit the market so its hard to tell witch will be more reliable.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 AM

Look closer at the specs. The Outlander is actually a closer competitor to the Santa Fe in terms of feature content, horsepower and size. The Tucson is quite a bit smaller than the Outlander.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:21 PM
JMC

You can't compare the 2....

Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM

I don't see why you would want to buy a Tucson if you can afford an Outlander? if you even don't take into account the exterior design (I believe the Tucson looks dated), the Outlander is certainly more technically advanced, the MIVEC V6 engine just to give an example.
I can't say anything about reliability, the Koreans are certainly catching up on this terrain... although I'd go with the most experienced car maker..

If the looks don't matter to you, dig into the specs deeper and see what you like best.. I'd also focus on ergonomics.
Btw: what are the more technical specs of this Huyndai 2.7 DOHC V6 engine? variable valve timings or such?

Kind regards and best wishes!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 PM

i was under the impression that hyundai has been exclusively using mitsubishi engines and transaxles in all their cars, hence the same warranty; unless they've just begun manufacturing their own....as i have, in addition to my '06 outlander LS, (to me a better handling and nicer car than the tucson) a '93 expo awd with 250,000+ miles and still running great with no rust (and still only on clutch #2), i'd recommend mitsubishi over any similar japanese car, even though those other brands are much better served by the aftermarket; but then again, there's no accounting for taste....don't decide until you've driven both; and do so with the a/c on for awhile so you can judge perormance differences. good luck, whatever car you choose, and happy new year!!!

Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 PM

ive driven a ton of both.. the tucson is nice, but nowhere near as nice as the outlander. Its basically a puffed up elantra.

anyone that has driven both will tell you its not even close.
And the outlander is much closer to the santa fe than the tucson in terms of size, power, trim, options, etc.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: expositor

i was under the impression that hyundai has been exclusively using mitsubishi engines and transaxles in all their cars, hence the same warranty; unless they've just begun manufacturing their own....
thats a common misconception.
hyundai DID use their own copies of older mitsu engines years ago.. but have since developed their own quite a while ago.
the transaxles are also like that.. The current transaxles are based on mitsu architecture, but built in korea.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: expositor
, i'd recommend mitsubishi over any similar japanese car, even though those other brands are much better served by the aftermarket;
Hyundai is korean

Old 12-30-2006, 02:28 PM

yes it is, as is daewoo; in my haste i neglected to mention 'korean' as well as japanese....maybe i should have gone with 'oriental' or just 'rice burner'...?

Quick Reply: Outlander vs. Hyundai Tucson