Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Parking Brake Issues - 2014 Outlander V6 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Default Parking Brake Issues - 2014 Outlander V6 GT

I just returned from the dealer for about the 6th time in 2 years concerning my parking brake. The first few visits were concerning parking brake adjustments with the service manager telling me they had limited adjustments. It came time for brake service per the service schedule, no replacements but brake cleaning and lubing. Everything was okay but still limited parking brake. About 6000 km later I was told my rear brakes needed replacement so I had the rear brakes (incl rotors) replaced at about 75000 km (strangely, the fronts are still okay at 87000 km and the fronts usually wear first). Before replacement my parking brake had zero effect. Then my problems with sticking rear brakes and slack on the handbrake lever started.
I just picked up the Outlander again from the dealership today. The service manager did say that there has been a problem with sticking handbrakes however, I see a note on my work order that says if problem persists, the dealership is recommending new calipers. The dealer has been good so far but I don't think they'll come good for calipers although at the price of the rear brake job I feel like I have already paid for them.
Has anybody else had handbrake issues on their later model Outlanders?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 AM

I double checked by looking up the rotors for a 2014 Outlander, the rear setup is the same as previous model with what is call 'drum in hat', where the rear rotors are solid and shaped like a hat for regular stopping. The emergency brake is hooked to an old fashioned drum brake setup in the middle of the 'hat' - so pretty much nothing they told you makes any sense at all

Do Not Buy new calipers from these people!

Go to a reputable brake shop (Mitsubishi suffers from a lack of stable dealerships in the US and advice varies greatly) Now maybe the dealer confused your GT for a lesser model, but everything I can find online shows that you have the same brake setup as the 2007-2013 Outlander.

I have done my brakes many times and can tell you, it's a pain to service them, but it is not rocket science for any decent mechanic.

The reason you are not getting any ebrake is because they were not adjusted properly. How it is done, is they need to remove the disk and clean the area. Then slowly extend the shoes, checking for snugness by placing the rotor back on and spinning, when the resistance gets tight, then they are ready to put the rotors on and finish installing the new pads. There is also a slot with a rubber stopper in the back plating that allows for adjusting when you there is no replacement of the rear rotor/pads.

I would shout this, but don't like all caps. Your calipers have nothing to do with the ebrake, other than they help hold things in place. Calipers apply pressure to the regular outside pads and the ebrake is inside and attached to a cable.

Mine has always given me some slack and requires regular adjusting, but it holds the car on a hill.

As I said earlier, look up brake shops in yelp or something like that and find the most highly recommended one in your area before allowing the dealer to charge you $1000 + for new rear calipers. On a car 3 years old, that is criminal.

Also you can call Mitsubishi North America and start a case. They will investigate to see if the dealer is right or wrong, also if they have a defective part or an incorrect factory process (it happens) and a district manager for servicing will be involved.

Good luck

Old 06-30-2017, 10:38 AM

Thanks for such a detailed response.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:40 PM

unreal they replaced rear rotors at 75000 km. I'm at 200k miles and still on all original rotors. I have a fresh set of front rotors ready to go in, but I'm keeping the rears....they are still good.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:57 AM

@ccernst. Yeah! I was a bit surprised too. Kind of standard now no matter where you go, it seems. Shops used to make a lot of income from exhaust systems. Now they are st st and last much longer. The remaining wear items? Brake$ and tire$.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 AM

I'm having a similar issue but haven't taken things apart yet. But based on this parts site:

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...ar-brakes-scat

the parking brake is part of the caliper and doesn't have it's own drum setup. Am I missing something. This is on a 2014 Outlander GT.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:55 PM

In case others weren't aware (as I wasn't), my issue of seized parking brake will be covered under a recall. They haven't sent out any notices yet as they don't have the parts available.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014-2...1420698953864/

Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 AM

@slorimer Thanks for the info. I've simply stopped using my parking brake "when I remember to", although I am not comfortable doing this. I'll certainly be looking into the recall as it applies in Canada. Right now, I'm preparing for my next scheduled service which includes the trans-axle service.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Anyone know how the parking brake works? I'm use to a drum and pads, looks like the cable attaches to the caliper itself?

Old 02-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Nice little video for you to watch and learn.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Issues - 2014 Outlander V6 GT