Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

phone audio

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Default phone audio

Guys / Girls
I have a UK spec Outlander and I've paired my i phone via bluetooth.
The problem is the speaker for the phone appears to be in the left front door and the microphone appears to be in a similar area. Now this is alright for all you left hand drive cars but us Brits sit on the other side of the car to drive!
Is there any way of getting this to work through the RH speakers as callers have trouble hearing me and I have to crank the phone volume up very high to hear them whilst driving.
Any help would be appreciated

Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Default RE: phone audio

Hi gadgetman.
No problem with volume etc with mine, sound seems to come from r h speaker same as sat nav instrucions.
The only problem I get is that every time I switch the ignition off I have to go through the lengthy process of pairing the phone again. Do you have to do the same or am I doing something wrong?

Old 11-27-2008, 09:55 AM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm seems like I might have a problem with mine then, time to talk to the dealer although with this kind of thing they are useless........." oh we've never paired a phone on an outlander before" !!!
With regard to the pairing issue, mine connects every time i get in the car it may be a phone issue with yours, have you tried another model of phone? I'm using an i phone

Old 11-27-2008, 12:33 PM

I beleive the microphone is placed by the map lights (near the moon roof controls) so the the selected output speaker shouldn't affect the sound quality. Also, the sound is coming out from the speaker next to you instead of across you so I don't see how that can be worse unless only the bottom speaker and not the tweeter is used and there might be an off axis problem. (Am I making any sense?)

For the phone pairing, did you assign a number to your phone? I don't know in which menu but you can assign a priority number from 1-9. If you assign 1 to your phone, it will use this phone first. Also, you might want to look at the settings on your phone to allow connections if they are present... or something like that.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:54 PM

The sound is coming from the floor speaker on the LH side and not the tweeter so with some one in the Left seat it is very muffled.
Any ideas where the speaker output comes from on the head unit??? I'd like to go to the main dealer with the fix as thet won't know!!

Yup my i phone is pared as priority 1 and it pares every time.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 PM

First off, mine is setup the same way. (however I am a left hand driver, U.S.) The output speaker used is the right hand bottom speaker. The microphone is where the sunroof and light switches are placed up front in the headliner. That is where yours should be too.

When I first got the Outlander, it was driving me crazy that I could not hear my calls... as they almost sounded muted. Then after a bit of playing around, I found that my iphone has bluetooth output volume control. That solved the issue with me being able to hear the other party. The default output level was only at 50%.

As for output positioning, I have no problem with it being opposite of me. I think their reasoning for this is if you have the NAV unit, the output on directions are on the same side as the driver. That way they are not crossing over each other is my guess.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 AM

thanks, where is the blue tooth volume I've been through the settings and can't find it????

Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 PM

My guess is when you are connected, you should toggle the volume with the buttons on the side. I will check this next time I am in my car. Hopefully this works because sometimes I have to put the volume level to over 30 in the car just to hear!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:58 PM

The blue tooth volume would be actually on the phone... What you will need to do is connect a call... and while you are using hands-free, try to turn up the volume on your phone... it should control the bluetooth output if it has that feature. I can verify that the iPhone is able to control volume output specifically for bluetooth.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:25 AM

blackberry and treo has this option as well, to control the output vol on bluetooth

Quick Reply: phone audio