Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Poor Fit & Finish? Resale Value? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/poor-fit-finish-resale-value-40869/)

Rescue9 10-21-2011 08:37 PM

Poor Fit & Finish? Resale Value?

I'm a search & rescue K9 handler here in Southern Oregon. I've been researching new small to mid-sized SUV's that are at least "lite" off-road capable, aren't total gas hogs, and have decent maximum cargo space.
I like a LOT of what I see about the 2011/2012 Outlanders, but it seems like every review I've read so far comes down hard on the the over all "fit & finish" of the Outlander (especially the interior), and the projected resale value also seems to be DISMAL at best.
On the other hand many reviewers seem to rave about the Outlander's overall handling, engine, fuel efficiency (for the class), and most owner reviews seem to be VERY happy with this vehicle.

Is the "dis'ing" about fit & finish warranted at all (in the opinion of you owners out there), and can you give any insight as to the POOR projected resale value down the line on this vehicle?
Would most of you Outlander owners buy ANOTHER one in the future?

Lunatic59 10-22-2011 06:54 AM

I must admit that some of the trim on the interior seems a bit "plasticy" compared to other vehicles in it's class (Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Hyundai Tuscon, etc.) But the cargo space is better especially with the split gate and dogs.

Would I buy another one? In a heartbeat.

azjake 10-22-2011 11:01 AM

I bought my 08 Outlander new in June of 2008 and I'm very happy with it and would consider buying another one when the time comes up.

Let me give you my take on the interior. I'm less concerned about the materials, and more concerned about the layout which I like. The radio and A/C controls are within easy reach without having to take my eyes off the road. That's what is important to me along with the good handling of the vehicle, cargo space, long warranty, and seats that are very comfortable even on long trips.

As far as resale value, you're right the Outlander does not hold it's value as good as many other of it's competitors, but if you buy it with the intention of owning it for 6+ years that becomes less of an issue.

blitzkrieg79 10-22-2011 07:29 PM

Actually I never understood the entire bashing of Outlanders interior. When I was shopping for the car in 2009 I went to Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and pretty much I really didn't FEEL like they offered superior materials of the interior. All of them use hard plastics. Some of them use more color but at the end of the day its mostly hard plastics. Some of the competition also loves buttons on the dash board. And I actually prefer the simple dash layout of Outlander. I don't have to take my eyes from the road when I try to adjust AC or change radio station. Some of the other dashes may look better but are less functional/ergonomic in real life driving. Anyway, knowing what I know now, and been through what I have been through, I would definitely get another Mitsu Outlander without a question.

As far as resale value, thanks in part to cash for clunkers program where a lot of good used cars were scrapped, resale value of most used cars over the past 2 years actually increased...

Lunatic59 10-22-2011 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79 (Post 278414)
Some of the competition also loves buttons on the dash board. And I actually prefer the simple dash layout of Outlander. I don't have to take my eyes from the road when I try to adjust AC or change radio station. Some of the other dashes may look better but are less functional/ergonomic in real life driving.

Exactly. A simple analog instrument cluster is far superior to the F-16 cockpit-like dashes of some cars. There is nothing lacking in controls in the Outlander but it was better thought out. Driving is a pleasure.

ccernst 10-23-2011 12:43 PM

I've found that my '07 has the same hard plastic that scuff/scrapes easily about as much as my old '93 Eclipse. The door panels on mine, which you'll find up '07 & '08 are an awkward hard plastic as well...supposely they changed to a better finish in '09.

That being said, I'm more utilitarian and I'm not too concerned about that sort of stuff.

I think the reason that resale value is so low is that not many people think of Mitsubishi when it comes to CUV/SUVs. Everyone is clamoring for Hondas, Toyotas, and other domestics. Supply and demand...if people don't demand it, it is going to be cheap. Great if you are buying used...but not so great if you are selling used.

Rescue9 10-25-2011 12:56 AM

Just wanted to say THANKS to all of you who responded to my post. All very good points & info to consider...and I am continuing to take a very serious look at the Outlander!!!
Thanks Again~

Ricbec 10-25-2011 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst (Post 278423)
I think the reason that resale value is so low is that not many people think of Mitsubishi when it comes to CUV/SUVs..

Just to clarify here - any Mitsu that is not performance based has a poor resale value - it goes with the name Mitsubishi - mainly due to the poor quality in the early days - its a bad rep that they just cant shake(before you go off your tits at me - ive owned Mitsu's for the last 8 years and love em)

I own a 09 VRX Outlander here in Aus (same a US GT) and absolutely detest the door trim plastic - its totally horrid - dash doesnt bother me so much, but why do manufacturers recently insist on so much hard plastic

Im also not the happiest with the "fit and finish" side of the Outlanders - it all feels and looks like they have just taken the best parts they could find and just went - well thats close enough - fortunatley this doesnt continue on panel fit and finish - its just like they forgot about the interior and slapped it together design wise in a day or 2

Vadimus 10-25-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ricbec (Post 278462)
I own a 09 VRX Outlander here in Aus (same a US GT) and absolutely detest the door trim plastic - its totally horrid - dash doesnt bother me so much, but why do manufacturers recently insist on so much hard plastic

It is kinda fixed on 2010+ models.

FAUEE 10-30-2011 02:36 PM

A lot of people give Mitsu a lot of guff on their quality and interior. The Outlander has quite good interior quality I've found, much better than any comparable domestics, if not quite as good as something German or some of the best Japanese vehicles.

Resale values suck on everything not Toyota or Honda, Hyundai/Kia are getting better with it as well.

I take a slightly different view of the interior thing. I didn't buy a Bentley, I bought a nicely equipped and sized SUV that I could load up with stuff and the dog. Other vehicles have nicer materials in certain places (the new Jeep GC Overland Summit can be had with leather on the dash and door panels and such), but our dog would absolutely DESTROY that in short time. I'd rather have hard plastics that don't tear when my dog jumps on them to stick his head out the window than have a super nicer luxury vehicle that he'd destroy.

And FWIW, this is one of the best dog carrying vehicles out there. With the second row folded forward, here's no way for him to block the rearview mirror, even if he's laying on the tops of the 2nd row. He's also got a ton of room back there, and the fold down rear tailgate makes it easier on the joints of big dogs to get in and out. After a day at the park, he hates having to jump up into my SUV, but is much happier to just walk up into the back of the Outlander.

So yes, I'd buy another. But the wifey doesn't want to have 2 of the same vehicle.

As an aside, I don't think Mitsubishi does as much advertising with car mags, and the car mags tend to come up with some pretty ridiculous claims about poor quality interiors on Mitsus. I tend to lump it into the realization that carmags give good reviews to the guys that spend the most money with them. A review of the new Caddy SRX vs the RX350 comes to mind where the RX350 was touted as better in every category, both subjective and objective, but at the end the proclaimed the SRX the victor because of its styling, lol. Car mag reviews are most useful as ways to waste a few minutes to be totally honest.