Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Default Power Steering Pump

Hey folks!

Recently bought a 2007 Outlander and I'm loving it, but two days ago the power steering went. Took it down to the dealership and they let me know that the pump is leaking. They also let me know that it's out of warranty AND it's $2000 to replace the part!?

So first off, is this normal? That seems insanely overpriced to me. The second question I have, is there a walk through of the replacement process? I'm pretty handy and have been doing my own repairs on my old beetle for years now.

I tracked down a copy of the 2007 Outlander Service Manual and it's got pretty detailed instructions but not the greatest pictures. On a scale of 1 to 10 for a hobbyist what number am I looking at?

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the part I'm looking for but can someone verify for me?

RockAuto Parts Catalog[year_1993]=true&ck[mkt_US]=true&ck[mkt_EU]=true&ck[mkt_CA]=true&ck[mkt_MX]=true&ck[viewcurrency]=CAD&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=p12g26fhqbtltcnn26qq9nksl0

Thanks for your help! I'm excited to be a Mitsubishi owner!

Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM

wow, that's why they call that the stealership! I did look up on an OEM parts page, the pump retails for over $800. Rockauto says the pump was only used in '07...'08+ was a different pump model. That's the first difference I've seen that soon within the 2nd Gen platform. I thought the first difference, mechanically, was the power boost in 2010 along with a nose re-design.

So that part you listed is the right part. I think if I were you, I'd call around to junkyards and see if they have any '07 pumps. Car-parts.com would be a good place to do an internet search.

I'd also double check the hoses, make sure those aren't cracked and causing your leak.

Put your specs and location in your signature/profile so that we can better answer questions. On your '07, do you know if your spark plugs/timing belt have been done? that is a big expense if you have someone else do it, but the plugs do help if you are over 100k miles.

Edit: just to be sure, you were looking at page 37-34 through 37-36 for your removal pictures right? I think that has great pictures for a service manual.

Last edited by ccernst; 09-18-2013 at 05:03 PM.