Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Price of parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Default Price of parts

I have a 2007 outlander with 210000 kms that has been very reliable and I like it very much ( i just replaced the engine that died because of my skimping on doing the water pump along with the timing belt at 160k so that doesnt count).

One thing that infuriates me with this company and is the cause of me never buying a mitsubishi ever again when this one dies is the price of parts.

Here is what i have been quoted by the dealers so far:
( bear in mind i'm not someone who ever buys oem when i can help it, its always a ripoff. 100% of the time but this stuff is crazy)

Rear suspension over 800$' got kybs for 80$ a side
Transmission cooler-950!!!, got an universal at napa for 55$ and made it fit
Muffler-1000$ are you kidding me
Exhaust mid pipe ( hold on to your hats)-2100$ no aftermarket.... 2100$ for 4.5 feet of steel pipe.....
Xmission fluid- diaqueen jf2-27$ a litre anything else will void your warranty( wasnt aware that mitsu had super special high tech autos that required fluid laced with gold! My money says it's just rebadged castrol mutli import.
Timing belt r/r at dealership-1600$ ....
Rigid part of xmission cooler lines -200$ (10 inches is 5/8s tubing with a banjo fitting, which incidently are about to corrode through again about 3 years later, quality, nope...

It's really too bad, i really like my suv, and of course you expect to pay a bit more for oem but mitsubishi are absolute criminals when it comes to parts. That 10 yr/160000 warranty sure isnt free....
Just to put things in perspective I just bought and installed a low mileage 2008 engine for about half te price of an oem muffler...my other car is a volvo, a company reputed for having ridiculously high parts price and it doesnt even come close.

Anyhoo, off the soapbox... Thouhts?

Last edited by Eric Bolduc; 04-03-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bolduc
I have a 2007 outlander with 210000 kms that has been very reliable and I like it very much ( i just replaced the engine that died because of my skimping on doing the water pump along with the timing belt at 160k so that doesnt count).

One thing that infuriates me with this company and is the cause of me never buying a mitsubishi ever again when this one dies is the price of parts.

Here is what i have been quoted by the dealers so far:
( bear in mind i'm not someone who ever buys oem when i can help it, its always a ripoff. 100% of the time but this stuff is crazy)

Rear suspension over 800$' got kybs for 80$ a side
Transmission cooler-950!!!, got an universal at napa for 55$ and made it fit
Muffler-1000$ are you kidding me
Exhaust mid pipe ( hold on to your hats)-2100$ no aftermarket.... 2100$ for 4.5 feet of steel pipe.....
Xmission fluid- diaqueen jf2-27$ a litre anything else will void your warranty( wasnt aware that mitsu had super special high tech autos that required fluid laced with gold! My money says it's just rebadged castrol mutli import.
Timing belt r/r at dealership-1600$ ....
Rigid part of xmission cooler lines -200$ (10 inches is 5/8s tubing with a banjo fitting, which incidently are about to corrode through again about 3 years later, quality, nope...

It's really too bad, i really like my suv, and of course you expect to pay a bit more for oem but mitsubishi are absolute criminals when it comes to parts. That 10 yr/160000 warranty sure isnt free....
Just to put things in perspective I just bought and installed a low mileage 2008 engine for about half te price of an oem muffler...my other car is a volvo, a company reputed for having ridiculously high parts price and it doesnt even come close.

Anyhoo, off the soapbox... Thouhts?
You are preaching to the choir. I agree 100%, especially about the DiaQueen. BTW, there are aftermarket replacements for Diaqueen that you can use with confidence after your warranty runs out. A quick search will find them.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Default Water Pump

I could of sworn I read that they used a higher quality water pump that lasts a couple hundred thousand miles. What happened with the pump? Are there any symptoms to look out for. I did a timing belt last summer and didn't do the pump because people keep saying it's super high quality, perhaps they are "super high" quality?

I agree, I buy my OEM online and it's crazy how much they wanted for little foam strips to replace on the edges of the timing belt cover (California dries up all the rubber parts in due time). $8 for a 6" piece of foam to glue in. It's crazy and next time I am going to create my own.

Cheers

Last edited by binzd; 04-10-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by binzd
I could of sworn I read that they used a higher quality water pump that lasts a couple hundred thousand miles. What happened with the pump? Are there any symptoms to look out for. I did a timing belt last summer and didn't do the pump because people keep saying it's super high quality, perhaps they are "super high" quality?

I agree, I buy my OEM online and it's crazy how much they wanted for little foam strips to replace on the edges of the timing belt cover (California dries up all the rubber parts in due time). $8 for a 6" piece of foam to glue in. It's crazy and next time I am going to create my own.

Cheers
the bearing failed completely, there was about 3/4 inches of play on either side. As far as symptoms I could hear a squeaking but I just assumed it was the alternator or pwr steering belt idle pulley as is most often the case.

the other symptom was when it seized, and the timing belt was screeching, then it let go and the impeller was hitting the casing due to the pulley and shaft being super off center. I wasnt there, my wife was driving and kept going...