Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

PZEV emission issue help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 09:23 AM
Default PZEV emission issue help!

Hello all. Have a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I had to replace the Pzev Radiator in my 2007 Outlander with an aftermarket radiator because Mitsubishi stopped manufacturing the OEM pzev radiator and discontinued it. Replacing it with an aftermarket radiator throws a(emissions)check engine light because the temperature sensor is not an item that can be connected to the new radiator such as the pzev radiator had on it.. My question is this, will this vehicle pass inspection in the state of Pennsylvania which does have an emissions inspection requirement? I'm wondering if the fact that the pzev requirement is only in states such as California, New York, New Jersey Etc, but not Pennsylvania, will that preclude it being an issue in Pennsylvania?

Old 08-19-2019, 06:58 PM

most states don't allow for any codes to be present for any reason, if the MIL light is on = fail, I could be wrong, but I remember it has something to do with can-bus setups? there are a couple of threads on here on how to remove the old sensor and clamp onto the radiator frame, I do know that one of the circuits was tamper proof by running it through the fins, so you can a) figure out how to keep that loop or b) cut the old sensor out of the radiator leaving plenty of room around it to avoid any damages, then mount it somewhere that the temperature will transfer pretty fast, because one reason it's there is to make sure the engine is heating up rapidly enough for emissions to kick on early, good luck