Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

rack bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Default rack bars

is there a way to remove the roff rack bars, if so could someone walk me through it, hopefully it oesnt require too much and tey can be easily put back on right?

Old 08-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Default RE: rack bars

dirtwagon has his roof rack bars off of his outlander.....he should be able to help you out with this one....

Old 08-20-2006, 03:05 PM

You can remove the bars, but you MUST be careful and take your time if you plan to put them back on. The plastic pieces that the bars lead into are just hollow "caps". You will need to open them up with a screwdriver, but be careful, they aren't that forgiving. You will likely break one ore more of the tiny pieces inside while seperating them, but that will not effect the exterior. The exterior will scratch very easily with the screwdriver, so use a cushion of some sort between the plastic and the blade of the screwdriver. After you remove the caps, it is easy from there, there are a couple of nuts and bolts to remove and that's about it. Each plastic pedestal that supports the bar is attached to the car and you must seperate each of those pieces of plastic in half- think of it as a plastic easter egg. It is not a diffucult process, just requires a bit of patience. After you remove them, there will still be mounting holes in the water channel on the roof because there are mounting tabs spot welded into the water channel. You can buy a new channel strip- the piece of rubber that will cover those holes-or should, but they are about $150 from the dealer. You don't notice them unless you are looking at it from the top of the car. My little plastic tabs snapped in a few places, making it not a "perfect" set anymore, so dopn't be surprised if this happens. But, given they are useless unless you buy $400 in accessories I can deal with that- and I thinkk on most of the Outlanders with the exception of the SE they look better without them roof rails on. You can PM or post again if you need any other help.
P.S. You may need to get you wax out since there will be a slight difference and maybe some fine scratches underneath where the plastic mounts sat on the roof, but some wax makes it all better.
Good Luck!

Old 08-20-2006, 04:43 PM

thanks a lot for that walkthrough, maybe if i have a chance ill try to do it, i was just wondering how hard and extensive it would be, thanks again for the time you put into that, if i need help ill post back

Old 08-20-2006, 11:08 PM

see i knew dirt would be a good help with that..let us know how it turns out if you get it done...

Old 08-21-2006, 09:27 PM

I personally kept mine on. it gives me a handle to pull on when im waxing the roof

Old 08-21-2006, 09:47 PM

you took the words right out of my mouth....very sturdy grab handles they are.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 PM

I just stand on the tires

Old 08-22-2006, 02:18 AM

6'0 and 285 lbs, my feet arent going to feet between tire and well heheh

Old 08-22-2006, 06:31 PM

I'm 6'2 and 195....damn you have some thick feet ...lol No offense meant, but my 13's fit just fine lol. Different strokes for different folks

Quick Reply: rack bars