Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

rear bike hitch ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Question rear bike hitch ?

can I order a rear bike hitch from dealer?

Do I need to order the bike hitch somewhere else?

how much does it cost ?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 AM

I think there are two components for the system you are asking about.

1. The hitch which is a receiver post attached (usually bolted) to the frame of the car. These come in different sizes and are usually custom built to fit with your exhaust system, spare tire etc. This should also have a wiring harness for lighting.

2. The bicycle accessory which plugs into the receiver post. Depends on the size of the receiver post on your hitch. This has the straps and pads to secure your bicycles.

You'll need both of these, and they will have to be compatible with each other.

You don't have to get them from a dealer.

There is a sticky about installing an aftermarket hitch:
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19359

On the weekend I saw a rear hitch mounted ski rack that held 4 sets of skis.

No idea of the costs of these components. You'll have to get some quotes, don't forget labour if you're not able to install them yourself.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Nesser is correct - there are 2 components: 1.) the hitch and 2.) the bike rack. Only a 2" receiver hitch fits the Outlander, with or without wiring. You don't need the wiring kit for a bike rack but if you want to tow a trailer with rear/brake lights the wiring kit will activate the lights. You can get a hitch aftermarket if you don't want to goto the dealer, which are aftermarket hitches anyways.

You will then need to get a bike rack - make sure the model you choose fits a 2" receiver or has an adapter. I recommend a model that swings so that you can access the hatch with bikes on the rack. Also be aware that the hitch sits quite low, and depending on the rack your bike tires may drag on inclines such as driveways and speed bumps.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 AM

I have paid @ $160 for the Curt trailer hitch from etrailer.com, $75 for OEM wire harness, and installed everything myself. It took less than 2 hours I think. As far as bike rack, I’ve got Yokohama 2 bike carrier for about $100 on sale. It can cost from $60 (no brand cheap model) to $300+ for fancy one (four bikes or more, with tilt, swing or combination). Good luck.