Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2007 Outlander XLS - Won't Start Rapid Clicking - Must Disco Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Default 2007 Outlander XLS - Won't Start Rapid Clicking - Must Disco Battery

Hello Mitsubishi Experts,
I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS. Yesterday morning (cold morning approx 15F) I attempted to start my car however all I heard was rapid clicking. The starter didn't sound like it was attempting to turn the crankshaft. After a few seconds, I moved the ignition back to the off position (note I have the keyless system) however the dash lights continued to flash and the rapid clicking continued. In order to stop the rapid clicking and prevent the battery from draining I had to pop the hood and disconnect the battery. This same scenario played out once before on a cold day approximately 1 month ago. Last time it happened I was able to jump start the car. Note, that the battery is only 1 year old. Both times this occurred the car sat for a few days over a long weekend and I attempted to start the car on a cold morning. Also, the last time it occurred (1 month ago) I brought the car to a mechanic and they tested the battery and starting system but didn't find any issues. I'm wondering if any Mitsubishi owners have had seen the same issue? If so, what was the cause? I know on the face it sounds like the battery doesn't have enough amperage to start the car but the fact the battery is relatively new and I've had the issue twice on some cold days I'm wondering if it could be something else. Thanks for your assistance!
Chris

Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM

Hey Chris,
You either have a loose connector somewhere (ground wire or power connector on starter) or the starter itself is bad. Places like Autozone/Advance Auto parts can test the starter if you can get it out.

Ironically, this past weekend, we had an episode where it would crank over but not start. Kinda acted like a flooded engine of the carburated days. Hasn't done it since. However I do think the engine is cranking slower than it should...wondering about mine though. Wondering if the fact that the starter gets a bath each time the engine oil gets changed has anything to do with it.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:11 PM

Do you have a block heater? Was it plugged in while it sat?

The battery can freeze too and stop working sometimes even if they aren't super old...

Or also be the starter or wires problem.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Default Found Issue - (I hope!)

All,

No block heater, Guyfromhe.

Thanks for your comments. I was about to have my car towed to the mechanic to perform another check after I tried jump starting my car using my wife's truck. I let my wife's truck run for about 20 minutes and then tried starting my car again. Again, just rapid clicking and when I turned the ignition key back to the off position the rapid clicking continued and again I was forced to disconnect the battery. I happen to have towing on my insurance so they sent out a flatbead. The tow operator brought a small battery jumpstart pack. My car started immediately. He suggested the possibility that the battery had a bad cell which my mechanic also floated when I spoke to him over the phone. Anyway I sent the tow away and I brought my 23 month-old battery back to Walmart and they gave me a new one. (The battery had a 3-year replacement warranty so it cost me nothing.) So far it's been good for the last 4 days with some of the most extreme cold weather we've seen in the Northeast in several years.

However, I'm having a hard time reconciling why the car started up immediately with tow operator's small charger pack yet 20 minutes of charging with my wife's running car was not enough?! Perhaps it was because the charger pack had short thick wire's and was able to deliver the amperage needed to turn the car over??
Regards,
Chris

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Fast clicking means not enough power. It is either a bad battery or bad terminal.

If jumpstarting from another running car does not work 90% chance is that it is terminals to blame.