Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

regular gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Default regular gas

Well I've been using premium since I got the thing and I read here that regular is ok.. I can never find the gas cap release and accidentally popped the hood first...

So I was outside in the freezing cold trying to locate the catch on the hood to close it and the attendant asks me what I need so being somewhat flustered I reverted to my "fill of regular" I was used to saying for over 10 years...needless to say it wasn't till I paid that I realized what I did.. so now I have more than 3/4 of a tank of regular.. reading here lead me not to panic and so far I haven't noticed anything at all...with the bad weather I haven't been pushing it very hard so if it was performing worse than usual I likely wouldn't notice it...

Anyway if I notice anything adverse I'll post back but I don't expect anything bad to happen.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 AM

depending on the vehicle. It will make no difference.
Mine runs better on 95 than on 96. Go figure.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:13 PM

I've done it once before, nothing bad came from it

Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 PM

run what is in your owner's manual.
if it says to use premium, you'll get more power out of it. if it says to use premium and you put regular in it, then it'll be okay as the engine will retard timing to prevent knock...reducing power output.
if it says to use regular...use that. Premium's higher octane only purpose is to make it harder to ignite for higher compression engines. So running that in an engine tuned for regular fuel would be incorrect. will it work, sure...but it won't be efficient.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM

For the last 100K kms I've used maybe 3 tanks of premium, the rest was regular.

No issues.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:13 AM

They "recommend" premium on the tank and manual bit don't require it.

I haven't really pushed it hard enough to tell if it's giving me less power (or how much) if it ever warms up I'll have to experiment but I think for the winter at least regular will be fine...

Vad: that's a long time to run on regular, that will save me a little money then...

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM

I've been running regular in my '12 Outlander GT (V6,6 sp auto).

The owners manual says "recommended", not required. Have had no noticable drop in performance.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM

My 2009 Outlander (4 Cylinders) 4WD manual recommends 87 and above. So I've been using regular gas since the time I bought it. I wonder if it would be better if I switch to premium gas.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tib_mastiff
My 2009 Outlander (4 Cylinders) 4WD manual recommends 87 and above. So I've been using regular gas since the time I bought it. I wonder if it would be better if I switch to premium gas.
It won't... Higher octane just means it needs more heat to combust (harder to burn) the only time it's beneficial is in a high compression engine and the gas doesn't increase performance itself it just prevents pre detonation or knocking which will usually cause the ecu to lower performance to stop it from wrecking the engine.
The 6cyl engine is higher compression so premium is recommended but I've been on regular for a few tanks now though and it's fine.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 AM

I have a 2009 with the V6 engine and always put regular in it and never had any problems.

Quick Reply: regular gas