Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Default Remote Start

My wife wants to get me a remote start for my 2012 Outlander for my birthday.

Is the factory remote start worth $450.00, or will an after market (DEI?) style be a better choice. What is all involved in putting a remote start in one of these. I read the instructions for installing the Mitsu unit, and the most complicated thing is registering it.

If I go the aftermarket type, I would have it professionally installed.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM

You can get better and more features like 2 way, temp reading, smartstart, etc with an aftermarket and you can get them installed for around the same price it would cost for just the hardware for the OEM one.. The OEM one is simple to install you just plug it in and register it whereas an aftermarket one requires cutting and splicing the factory wiring and then programming a bypass module.

I haven't got there yet but I think I would go aftermarket myself when I get around to having one installed.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:08 PM

I love my viper responder 1 remote. 2000' range, 2 way, meaning it does a little beep thing and lights up when it started and a different color led and beep when it does not reach.

Plus, 1 button and very small. works GREAT. even inside my work place

Old 12-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Do you need to sacrifice 1 key for bypassing immo?

Old 12-29-2013, 03:49 PM

A proper CAN bypass module doesn't need a key it just has to be setup properly and registered with the factory immobilizer.

Usually only super new vehicles or poor installers require a key in a box solution.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 PM

I didnt. A sperate module take care of it. Crappy remote start installers ask for the key...trust me I had to call a few people to verify how they would do it

Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 PM

I will say after market as well. I will be getting the Compustar 901ss PRO 2-WAY 901 | RF-P2W901-SS | Remote Start + Security Systems

Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM

At $350 price tag aftermarket remote start does not look that better then a $450 stock one...

Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 PM

More distance, smaller remote in the viper. That is why I went aftermarket. Im not sure if the OEM one is 2 way.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:38 AM

Usually OEM start systems are equivalent in features to a $50 aftermarket system and you are paying for OEM parts, and ease of installation (which they probably don't let you off the hook for when you take it to a stealership) I wish OEMs would pay companies like Viper to build a custom high end unit for their cars then everybody would win.

You can add the cell phone control to almost any aftermarket alarm too if you need to start your car from far away...Not so much with OEM systems.

If it was $100 more to get the OEM one and it was the same as the aftermarket one there would be no contest but it's not. You are getting an inferior product with a brand name on it and as much as I wish they didn't have to chew up the factory wiring to install an aftermarket unit if you get a decent install shop you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Quick Reply: Remote Start