Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Review-2009 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Default Review-2009 Outlander

2009Outlander XLSreview

[/align] [/align] After driving the new Rav4, CRV and Mitsubishi Outlander I essentially judged them very close in overall ability and practicality. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the three. In the end I felt the Outlander handled better and has a more modern overall package than the others. Here are some details after 1700 miles:

[/align] [/align] HANDLING[/align] This is obviously a strong point as the Lancer based chassis is already known for very good handling ability. The Outlander is the best handling crossover I've driven. I preferred it even to my previous Subaru Tribeca and Forester XT. Steering is remarkably tight with above average feedback for this class. Both the Rav4 and CRV are unremarkably truck-like in their behavior and not pleasing to drive when on twisty roads. While the Outlander has some body roll it's still far more car-like and feels downright nimble at times. Edmunds called it "the clear enthusiasts choice" and for 2009 this is still very much the case.

[/align] [/align] POWER AND TRANSMISSION
[/align] Power is really quite good, but if you've driven the new Rav4 you know the Outlander does not lead in this area. It's still excellent though and always has juice on tap for brisk acceleration and passing. Never does this engine feel strained. The transmission is a leading area as it's silky smooth with no hard shifts that I experienced in the other SUVs. 6 speeds is certainly the way to transmit power in this type of vehicle. I never once could confuse it or make it over-work. The 2 wheel drive mode really does extract more MPG than AWD and AWD lock actually will improve handling when driven hard. The transmission is nearly a work of art when compared to the others in this segment. If you want raw power then the Rav4 is the leader. If you want good power with the better transmission, the Mitsubishi is the leader. Frankly, the Rav4's power and refinement are really squashed by the transmission which announces it's efforts far too often. The CRV is VERY refined and quiet. It's engine is typical Honda, and hard to hear at all unless hard pressed. It remains under-powered and it's dead last in this group for power. As a road car it's hard to choose the CRV over the Outlander or Rav4. Frankly it's Honda loyalists who keep the CRV going. If you drive one on the highway you soon realize it's just not on the same level as the Rav4 or Outlander. [/align] [/align] THE AWD SYSTEM AND SNOW[/align] I'm aexperienced driver in snow and icy conditions as I live fairly high up in upstate NY. When it rains in Putnam Valley or Manhattan we're likely to have 10 inches of snow. The road leading to my home is a twisty affair with steep climbs. Most of the time the standard AWD setting is more than enough to deal with our conditions, but on several occasions I used the LOCK setting with even better results. My Legacy, with it's dedicated snow tires can climb a ice covered tree and climbs an snow covered hill like few cars can. That said the Mitusbishi does quite well with its stock tires. Dedicated snow tires would make a huge difference and no one should judge this vehicle in the snow in any serious way without them. A dedicated snow tire will make more difference than the varied approaches to AWD systems. Ultimately this is not a off road machine, yet it's excellent on roads that many other cars would be unable to handle.

[/align] [/align] INTERIOR COMFORT[/align] I have the full leather package and legroom is reasonable for my 6'3 frame. Back seats also score well, but the 3rd row (only found on the XLS) are really for kids or emergency use. They are small and nearly on the floor. If you want a more usable 3rd row, the Rav4 does much better. But frankly if you need a real 3rd row you should probably skip this segment and go for a larger vehicle. Sound levels are quite low, with most noise experienced being transmitted by the tires. It's a generally quiet cabin, but this is also HUGELY dependent on tires.

[/align] [/align] ELECTRONICS[/align] In this area the Outlander pulls away from the competition in a big way. The Navigation system is hard drive based and has so many features and abilities, it's truly impossible to list them all here. You'll find everything from a DVD player to a on board hard drive music server and virtually the whole car can be controlled from the beautiful 7 inch screen. The Nav system is also faster than most others on the market. The key word here is "integration" and the Outlander's brain feels very much a part of the car rather than a added option. I believe it's a must-have feature for the Outlander. Add to that a backup camera & Rockford Fosgate stereo system and you'll also enjoy one of the best OEM systems going. Want more? There's also a nice 9" rear DVD player as well, though I opted to have a better 11.2 inch screen installed by the dealer. I'm barely scratching the surface here. Getting back to the Rockford Fosgate, this is a loud and reasonably clear sounding system. The cargo area mounted sub will sound boomy if pushed. This is NOT due to surrounding plastics, but the sub itself, which is of fair quality at best. If you want to upgrade changing the front speakers to something a bit more refined would be easy. Overall many will find this the best OEM system they've heard.

[/align] [/align] QUALITY[/align] On the outside it's a sharp car and looks more upscale than the CRV or Rav4. But even with the leather, nav and rear DVD the plastics tend to look average at best. It's a nice interior and certainly looks good, but there are some cheap touches that just don't cut it. Nothing is a deal breaker of course, but Mitsubishi should tweak the interior a bit soon. I think the CRV had the most upscale feel, but the Rav4 and Outlander are very close behind. Folks who cry about the plastics really need to look at a 30K Forester XT and the interior of a mid level Rav4 is drab in the extreme. Still, if you want to be happy with an interior, go leather and nav. Doing the door slam test on all three had the Outlander coming in last. Interior fit and finish is good, but hardly befitting a car that can easily top 30K. The CRV really had the best interior, but no 3rd row option. [/align] [/align] CARGO[/align] If you want to use an SUV to move stuff around, the Outlander has a lift gate and drop gate as well. It's far easier to load the car up this way and it's a nice seat when you want to hang out. This is a great feature in a segment that seemed out of good ideas. You'll pay extra for a cargo net or retractable cargo cover.

[/align] [/align] BITS & FLUFF[/align] The FAST key system is a key fob that lets you open and start the car without actually using the key. In the case of the fob going dead, a key is hidden inside so you can still get home. Initially I found this to be a gimmick. But after two weeks I actually came to like it. You can't lock your keys in the car and all you need is to have the fob with you. Mitsubishi has also put the INFO button for the instrument cluster in an easily reached spot, which is nice. The self leveling Xenon lights sure are bright and blue! But be warned; some drivers will think you have your bright light ON and flash at you angrily. There are lots of storage spots up front and all are fairly large, though there's no overhead eyeglass storage. The center positioned storage bin with lid is lined and perfect for glasses, phone and so forth. The radio aboard the fully loaded version of the Outlander is very sensitive, picking up distant stations easily. Sirius sat. is also well designed catching and holding signals even in areas where my older units would fail. That pretty 7 inch navigation screen also plays DVD's, but not when the car is moving! This is a highly debated element. It can be defeated with a software patch, though owners like me are still anxiously waiting for a patch that works on 09 models. There's no reason my wife can't watch a movie while I drive, though you must check local laws on this.

[/align] [/align] STUFF I DON'T LIKE[/align] The switches for the heated seats are beyond stupid, hidden near the seatbelt locks. There are too many cup-holders that will just become pits of filth! Tiny roof means tiny sunroof. Rearview camera can only be activated while reversing, so I can't spy on a girl behind me without my backup lights coming on. Some interior plastics are below average. No dual zoneclimate controls. Hitting the paddles in D will still activate manual mode...BAD idea in my opinion, since it could confuse some folks. 3rd row seats are pretty weak and not even easy to fold down. Still no auto-up on drivers side window.No power liftgate option. Rear cargo cover is a 150 dollar option when it should be included. Rear entertainment package WILL obstruct rearward view.

[/align] [/align] SUMMARY[/align] To be 100% honest I found the CRV, Rav4 and Outlander all excellent and I could have driven away with any of them for about the same price in fully loaded trim. The Outlander was actually the most expensive when loaded up as I was able to get better deals on the CRV and Rav4 from desperate dealers. [/align] The CRV is certainly a vehicle to think over carefully, since it's small engine will not suit everyone's driving needs. All three have a list of pluses and minuses and it's up to the individual to choose which effect them most. You won't get everything you want with any one crossover, but the Outlander came closest for my needs. As an enthusiast driver the refined transmission and superior handling are important to me and are also safety factors that enhance ownership. I also enjoy gadgets and the technology in the Outlander's cabin feels well ahead of the others. I prefer the Outlander to my previous Tribeca for example, mainly for it's handling. And as nice as the Tribeca's interior was, it's Nav system is tedious to operate when compared to the Mitsubishi system. In the end there were too many things I liked about the Outlander's package that the others fell short on, but other folks will have different requirements. Towing needs could easily make the Rav4 more attractive to some for example and CRV's level of overall refinement may sway others. As I said, you won't go wrong short of coming up with a lemon. In the end the Outlander is for people who like to drive first and foremost.

[/align] [/align] Photos of my 09 Outlander with just about every option: Navigation, Luxury package, sun & sound package. I dropped the rear DVD in favor of a better 11.2 inch screen that is much nicer for only a bit more money. Also added: Weathertech mats and deflectors:

[/align] [/align] http://ghostlight.zenfolio.com/p4090...show#h1c6ff034

[/align] [/align] We paid750 below invoice as listed on Edmunds. Bigger discounts were available for 08 models.[/align] [/align] Thanks for reading and comments welcome.

[/align] [/align] The Good Captain[/align][/align]

Old 01-24-2009, 04:07 PM
tcp
Default RE: Review-2009 Outlander

Excellent review. Thanks. I think the majority of people who buy outlanders also check out the RAV and CRV and came to similar conclusions. Only one tiny point, but my 2007 LS + convenience does have the auto-up driver window, so I'm not sure if they removed it for successive years. Make sure you pull up past the click.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:33 PM

Yep, auto up AND down on the drivers side ison my 07 XLS.

Otherwise pretty good write up. Most of us will agree with you on just about everthing. Great performance, and great gadgets.... p.s. you forgot to mention bluetooth.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 PM

the CRV is no competitor to the Outlander if you ask me. The Rogue is probably a better comparison alongside the Rav4.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:55 AM

something that sold me into mitsubishi in the first place:
10 year warranty.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 AM

For me, I'm sold to the brand, and it's reliability, being a Lancer owner before. In the US they offer 10 yr warranty which is a plus. And the cars sold here are basically cheaper compared to the rest of the world.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM

Great review and write Bobsprit. I agree respect to MMCS, for my it is a great system and with many possibilities of update it. . .

Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 PM

I agree with everything, except that I haven't seen significant mileage difference between 2WD and 4WD. And as for th 10 year warranty, for the average river it's a 8 year warranty, here in Canada it's 10 years or 160K km, with an average of 20K km per year for a typical driver, the warranty will expire in 8 years, when he hits 160K km.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 PM

i dunno about that. at 160,000KM with how much I drive, that would last me almost 13 years. so i will get the 10 if I keep it that long. on the contrary I dont do a lot of road trips.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:30 AM

As I said 20,000 km is the average that the industry uses, most warrantiesuse that average i.e. 5 years 100,000KM, 3 years 60,000km. Also carleases are usually based on 20,000km per year. I'm in the same boat as you, I have had the car for 1 1/2 year and I only have 25,000km so I'll probably get close to 10 years. but the majority ofthe owners will get around 8 years.

Quick Reply: Review-2009 Outlander