Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Run a V6 on 4 Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Default Run a V6 on 4 Cylinders

I've heard that there are some V8's out there made to run on 4 cylinders when the demand on the engine is not that high. Has anyone ever heard of a mod that could do this for any V6? It seems like it would just be a software change.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Run a V6 on 4 Cylinders

There isn't anything like that for v-6's b/c most already get pretty good mpg. AlsoI think the engine balance would be thrown way off in a v-6 and wouldn't run very well. I think gm had it in the early 90's and always had problems.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM

Ford also had that for the Excursion (?) the large SUV. It had 10 cylinders, but it could turn 2 off.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM
tcp

The current honda odyssey touring edition has cylinder deactivation that lets it run on 3 cylinders instead of 6. It requires an active noise cancelling system as it creates resonances. In real world conditions, it doesn't do much for fueleconomy either.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/041014.htm

Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 AM

Speaking of the software change.... would be neat if no other things had been involved.
You should stop playing too much with computers, hehe...
If you're into saving gas - get a green car or simply don't push too hard what you have.
Another tip is to mix some alcohol into the gas, some pumps already offer this kind of stuff, it burns cleaner too.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 AM

Or JUST trade-in your car for a bicycle lol

Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 AM

Thats v8 technology. It will run on 4cyls to save fuel but be able to have power when needed. Kind of like an over drive. Oh and its only giving the trucks like 20mpg.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 AM

It requires more than just shutting off fuel and sparkto the cylinders, If that's all you didyour stillpumping air in and out of the disabled cyls. So half the cyls work and the other half are essentially an air compressor. You also need a way of disabling the valves for the cylinders you want to shut off. You're still compressing and uncompressing the air that's in the cylinder but it's a lot less work than a normal cycle, since the cylinder that is compressing is helped by the reciprocating cylinder that is expanding.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

It requires more than just shutting off fuel and sparkto the cylinders, If that's all you didyour stillpumping air in and out of the disabled cyls. So half the cyls work and the other half are essentially an air compressor. You also need a way of disabling the valves for the cylinders you want to shut off. You're still compressing and uncompressing the air that's in the cylinder but it's a lot less work than a normal cycle, since the cylinder that is compressing is helped by the reciprocating cylinder that is expanding.

Ya, this in NOT a mod that you can do. Pretty much has to come from the manufacturer. Because as you can see... its not simple.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 PM

Oh right.I forgot about dealing with the in-bound air.

3 cylinders on the Odessey? That's sounds crazy! Wouldn't think you could keep a minivan moving forward on that many.

I think I'll just get me a cheap-o mid-90's civic or tercel for commuting. Those get like 40mpg and go for $1500-$2000. I'd get an 89 CRX-HF (50+ mpg), but people that have ones that run aren't selling them these days.

Quick Reply: Run a V6 on 4 Cylinders