Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

rust proofing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Default rust proofing

Has anybody had aftermarket rust proofing applied to their Outie.

Any idea, how it could affect the warranty?

I'm going to us Krown, they give a lifetime warranty, so I guess that I don't really care about the Mistu one.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Default RE: rust proofing

I got the electronic rust proofing free whit my XLS but I'm not sure if it work really well or not so I got a abrasive undercoating again rust it's like a really thick black undercoating there's none apply at the factory by Mitsubishi so that's why I got mine done. I always got all my other car done every year whit rust proofing and never got any rust on them thanks to that. Make sure they use the dripless one because the other are just a waste of money going down the drain in the street.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 AM

Yea, I looked at the electronic ones, technically they should work, my concern is that if for any reason it stops working, how are you going to know?
Krown uses a very viscous oil but its still drips. My father in law worked on testing rust proofing product for the Canadian military and the result they had was the Krown was by far the best oil spray, and that's what they us now.
I'm particularly concerned about rust on a Mitsubishi, since they have not been in Canada for very long, and most car companies ar terrible for the first few year in canada. Mind you they have been on other nordic contries for some time, but I just have a feeling that Canada, mostly Ottawa and Montreal use way too much salt on the roads in winter.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

Yea, I looked at the electronic ones, technically they should work, my concern is that if for any reason it stops working, how are you going to know?
Krown uses a very viscous oil but its still drips. My father in law worked on testing rust proofing product for the Canadian military and the result they had was the Krown was by far the best oil spray, and that's what they us now.
I'm particularly concerned about rust on a Mitsubishi, since they have not been in Canada for very long, and most car companies ar terrible for the first few year in canada. Mind you they have been on other nordic contries for some time, but I just have a feeling that Canada, mostly Ottawa and Montreal use way too much salt on the roads in winter.
The electronic box isin the engine compartment and there's a red LED on it and it's on all the time to let you know it workif the light is shut there's a problem with the module that's what the dealer told me. Tell me about it for too much salt in the Ottawa region I live in Gatineau just across the river from Ottawa and work in Ottawa downtown it's crazy how much salt there is on the street/sidewalk!!!! Are you from ottawa ??

Old 01-24-2008, 08:41 AM

I'm in Montreal now, but I lived in the Ottawa area forabout20 years, mostly in the Limbour area of Gatineau.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: chenarm

I'm in Montreal now, but I lived in the Ottawa area forabout20 years, mostly in the Limbour area of Gatineau.
So if I was you I would go with the Krown one 100% for sure !

I live in templeton area of gatineau nice to see a fellow QC CND member !

Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 AM

I'm sure it would void the Mitsubishi rust warranty.

I'd also be sure to read any fine print on the rustproofing vendor's warranty...would you have to pay for periodic retreatments?

Pretty much all the new carsuse galvanized steel, so I don't think I'd worry about paying for more.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Our dealer gives us 10 (or 12? can't remember exactly) year warranty for vehicle body.
Manyour cities have very agressive anti-ice threathment but I don't know any problems with rust on MMC cars.
Nobody makes rust proofing on MMC there. Some guys set additional plastic cardsunder thewheels arches. They say it helps in soundproofing.
Honda Accord couple years ago has rust dot problems. Dealer repainted vehicles by warranty. That's all.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM

We also have a 10 year warranty, but that's for rust perforation. Your car could be covered in surface rust and they wouldn't do anything about it. Rust proofing can make a huge difference on the resale value, 8-10 years down the road.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM

In 8 to 10 years, these cars won't be worth much...and I don't see these being collectors items. Rustproofing wouldn't take care of outer surface rust.

Your best bet would be to clean and wax and fill in any knicks and scratches with touch up paint

Quick Reply: rust proofing