Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

S-AWC question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Elisha
Looks like you did not understand what I typed or watch that video.
Disregard the power to the front wheels, they always get power nomatter what.
With S-AWC, the left rear can get 100% of the power for the rear and the right rear can get nothing....0% and vice versa. While this is going on, the front still gets power cause like you said, the Outtie is a FWD based SUV.
S-AWC is only torque vectoring to the rear end of the Outlander.

So if you are making a fast and wide right turn, the front gets 50% which breaks down to 25% to each front wheel and the rear left/outer wheel gets 100% of the rear power which is 50% total and the inner/right wheel gets 0% to keep the turn tidy and not go out wide!

That's just an example asuming you're in Lock mode where front and rear gets 50/50.
The front 50% will always be equally divider between both front wheels whereas the rear shifts to the wheel that will aid steering the best in the direction your point it to!

This video shows you how the AWC Outties vs the S-AWC would take a wide fast corner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOsaIYEv39s

S-AWC will corner much tighter....

Again, there is no torque vectoring to the rear wheels...only the front. You linked to a Nissan Juke video.

Straight from Mitsubishi:
MISSISSAUGA, Ont. (November 2, 2009) – New styling, more horsepower, better fuel efficiency and the availability of Mitsubishi’s award winning Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) with Active Front Differential (AFD), are only a few of the many new features found on the 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander.
http://www.mitsubishi-motors-pr.ca/e...spx?archived=0

Besides that, simply logic dictates that a primarily FWD car would hardly benefit from a rear active differential. What helps more, 90% of torque going to wheels with torque vectoring or to wheels that have less than 10% torque in some case?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 PM

The video is relevant cause that's how S-AWC, SH-AWD for Acura RDX and torque vectoring for the Nissan Juke works.
The Active Front Diff just reduces power to the inner front wheel while turning. No power shift occurs.
Active Yaw Control for the EVO on the other hand diverts the power from the front inner wheel and sends it to the outer front wheel to make sure it doesn't go wide.

Avtive Yaw Control only benefits track and rally cars that can corner at high Gs. The Outtie is none of those.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:36 AM

Please read some reviews of the Outlander before making such a statement, there are plenty of video reviews and written articles which prove you wrong.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 AM

I understand how people can get confused!
Thanks,
Chek6

Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Please read some reviews of the Outlander before making such a statement, there are plenty of video reviews and written articles which prove you wrong.
So you're saying that S-AWC means Active Yaw Control for the front end?
I think the biggest problem here is that Mitsubishi is not clear about how these things are implemented on any model other than the EVOs.

But all I can say is that S-AWC does not transfer power any of the wheels. It just takes feedback from the sensors and works with ASC to reduce power to the wheel so you can turn tighter.

S-AYC does the opposite. Based on the sensor readings, it transfers torque to the wheel that can best pull/push it out of the corner.

Last edited by Elisha; 08-13-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Elisha
But all I can say is that S-AWC does not transfer power any of the wheels. It just takes feedback from the sensors and works with ASC to reduce power to the wheel so you can turn tighter.

S-AYC does the opposite. Based on the sensor readings, it transfers torque to the wheel that can best pull/push it out of the corner.
What secret tech makes possible to reduce power to the wheel? Torque comes from transmission into front differential, where it is normally divided between right and left depending on which one has less traction.
Or maybe you think it is kind of brake actuation on wheels? If so I don't see why every car manufacturer haven't implement it yet, even for all 4 wheels.

Anyway until Mitsu give us more info regarding AFD on Outlander, all we can do is to speculate. The owners of 2010 Outies with S-AWC though have a some real life experience for such specualtions

Last edited by Vadimus; 11-16-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Download this powerpoint presentation from Mitsubishi US it cover the S-AWC for the EVO, Ralliart, the Outlander and the new RVR (Sport in the US).
This should help

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/chan...d-b1694c33996b

This can be read by using Open Office (free from OpenOffice.org)

I include the cover sheet

Attached Thumbnails S-AWC question-cover.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Claude_A
Download this powerpoint presentation from Mitsubishi US it cover the S-AWC for the EVO, Ralliart, the Outlander and the new RVR (Sport in the US).
This should help
Claude_A, thank you so much! That's awesome!
That will definitely help!

I've converted your file into smaller PDF

Last edited by Vadimus; 11-17-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: adding file
Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5PlP...eature=related
Follow the link. It's an animated video of the S-AWC mecanism in fonction.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 PM

Here is another video with a Mitsubishi rep explaining how the system works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m5ZySj_PdE&NR=1
That should answer alot of questions.
Oh and by the way. i'm now at 1100 kms and crazy about the way it handle's on cold and wet pavement.

Quick Reply: S-AWC question