Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   S awc stuck in snow? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/s-awc-stuck-snow-45620/)

Guyfromhe 12-16-2013 11:18 PM

S awc stuck in snow?

I missed the road today while parking and ended up somewhat sideways partially in a ditch.. I had at least 2 wheels (driver side) on the road and one of my rear was in some wet snow and my front right side was in pretty deep... What I am wondering is while trying to free myself I was watching the power graph and I didn't see it trying to send power to the not stuck front wheel that would have had at least some traction... I thought this was a major point of sawc...

Anyway I got someone to give me a tug and they couldn't get me out with their big Armada on its own so eventually I told him to pull me forward and with the little movement out of the rut I was in it managed to grab and I was able to drive out pretty easily...

Anyway my biggest wonder is why it wasn't able to grab on the road side (was there not enough weight on that side because the car was tilted steeply to the right?) and why it didn't even try moving power to a specific tire... I could get some movement rocking it back and forth but I didn't want to slide deeper into the ditch or roll it... It was at a pretty bad angle and the snow was up to the bumper on the dug in side so I can forgive it for not being able to get itself out... I was happy with how easily it got out with just a little tug though....

I've been stuck in much less in my cars I've owned over the years.

Vadimus 12-17-2013 11:14 AM

Was it Lock or at least Snow mode?

Guyfromhe 12-17-2013 12:49 PM

I think I was in snow when I sunk into it, when I realized I was stuck I put it in lock and it was driving the back wheels but I never saw the side graphs change at all... just the center went up as I gave it more gas...
I was able to rock it back and forth a bit but it seemed like I was precariously perched and we had a unusually warm spell and the snow was all really soft.

When I was able to drive out it may have done it I was busy watching out the front to make sure I was moving and didn't hit the tow vehicle that was only a foot in front of me and not watching the graph... I am guessing too much weight shifted to the stuck side and the road was too slick to get any grab and the fact that the wheel was packed with snow and probably not touching the ground was a bad thing too...

I was probably in a 15 degree roll it felt like I was in one of those cartoons with the car perched at the edge of a cliff except it wasn't that unstable.
I had to hold the door open and hop down a bit when i got out... I went to look at the stuck wheel and just about fell in the ditch myself (it was very well disguised)

Vadimus 12-17-2013 12:59 PM

Weird. Was never stuck in the snow on my Outlander.

Guyfromhe 12-17-2013 01:25 PM

Did you ever sink it deep enough into a ditch that you though it was going to turn on it's side?

YahFargo 12-17-2013 02:43 PM

I believe the power graphs by each of the wheels only displays power during hard turns when it torque vectors the inside/outside wheels. I don't believe it will show individual tire power based on slippage in straightline driving. I could be wrong

boogunoogun 12-17-2013 05:23 PM

do you have stock tires? The stock tires SUCK in the snow. I put on a set of winter rims and tires and never looked back. HUGE difference

Guyfromhe 12-17-2013 11:45 PM

Yeah I need some winters just trying to get over sticker shock

YahFargo 12-18-2013 07:05 AM

General Tire Altimax Arctic, take a look into these on Tirerack.com. There is absolutely no reason to pay nearly double for something like Blizzacks. Here is the link to their user survey of all the winter tires they carry, you can compare the ratings of the Arctic to every other tire on that list http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C
The best deal is the recommended 16" Outlander tire size, 217/70R16, mounted on a cheap second set of rims. I had a set of Arctics on my Audi, the first thing I did when I got home with my Outlander was buy a set for it. I'll hop off my soapbox now

Guyfromhe 12-18-2013 09:27 AM

217 doesn't exist... can you double check that size?
I was thinking of doing tirerack but shipping to Canada is 3 times as much... I might try and live through this Winter and go pick up in the US in the spring.