Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Service #4 cost - insane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Default Service #4 cost - insane?

Hi,

I am due for the oil change soon and the dealer just called me informing that we need to do service #4 (Outlander XLS, 26K km, 3 years old). I was quite shocked by the price, even considering that I live in Canada and we are used to shocking prices Here is a brief list of things they have estimated (not a complete list, just the most impressive items):

- Service type D - $210
- air purifying filter replacement - $70
- transfer case oil change - $85
- transmission oil change $240
- ABS liquid change - $100
- wheel alignment - $90
- injector cleaning - $90
- checking battery - $27
- cooling system maintenance - $130
- power steering liquid change - $100
- ventilation system service - $130

Any suggestions? Should I go for bare minimum + oil change? Or just forget about the dealer at this point and go to another garage? OK, I agree that wheel alignment has to be done from time to time, true. But $130 for changing the antifreeze - isn't this a rip-off?

Old 03-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Holy cow! You're only at about 16,000 miles. Besides an oil change you may want to consider changing the brake fluid as it can absorb moisture which is not good for your brake lines and should be done every 3 years or so. Also you may want to consider changing your air filter. If your tires are wearing unevenly you may need an alignment, otherwise don't do it.

Mitsubishi uses long life anti-freeze that's good for 5 years. Your transmission/transfer case fluid should be good for now. Try putting a can of Techron in the gas tank instead of paying for injector cleaning which I doubt you need with so few miles on the vehicle. I don't know how it is in Canada, but my dealer checks the battery for free as part of an oil change. As far as the cabin filter (air purifying filter), you can probably buy one at Autozone for around $25 Canadian and change it yourself. There are instructions on this forum on how to do that.

Once you get to about 48,000 km (30,000 miles) you may want to get your transmission fluid changed and the coolant if it's been 5 years.

Last edited by azjake; 03-12-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM

this is a total rip off!

- Service type D - $210 - no clue what this is...get some more info
- air purifying filter replacement - $70 - This filter is about $15US at a parts store and is located right behind the lower glove box.
- transfer case oil change - $85 - probably close to accurate if they also changed out the rear differential at the same time. This can be done at any mechanic shop. use name brand 75w90 oil and you'll be fine.
- transmission oil change $240 - watch this one. Some dealerships will only drain the pan & refill, only changing out a small percentage of the fluid. there is a procedure to disconnect the tranny cooler line and purge it that way. fluids will run around $100-130US.
- ABS liquid change - $100probably close to right. if you did it yourself, you'd probably spend $15-20US on fluids and maybe $30-40US for a mighty-vac system. it is easy to do yourself...but again, any shop can do this.
- wheel alignment - $90if you aren't wearing abnomally, don't worry about it. I bought a lifetime alignment deal through Firestone...I take that sucker in every 5k miles!
- injector cleaning - $90 - like azjake said, go to parts store and get a fuel injector cleaner...follow the directions for great savings. I've yet to do this...I should.
- checking battery - $27 - do yourself! brush dirt away from top, use a screwdriver and pry off the caps....if you have them! mine did. water level should be touching the two "fingers" that go down. if not, get some distilled water and fill till the fingers just touch.
- cooling system maintenance - $130 - you shouldn't have to worry about it yet. If you do, go find another auto shop and get their quote for a flush using approved fluid. there are aftermarket fluids out there for us.
- power steering liquid change - $100 - you shoudln't have to worry...any shop can do this. If you have a wine bottle and a small block of wood, you can do this easily as well!
- ventilation system service - $130 - no, you already changed the filter out above!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments. I am going to talk to the dealer to find out what is in this mysterious "Service type D" package first. Then will do the stuff that I can do myself (like air filter, battery...). Then will address all other items one by one separately when appropriate and will check the prices first. I suppose that if, say, transmission fluid change is done at service like Costco - this should not void the warranty?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 PM

transmission fluid is the one clincher where there may not be a suitable alternative. In my '07 with an auto transmisison, I have to use DiaQueen ATF-J2...there is no readily available aftermarket product I can use. I had to go to the stealership to get it. Nesser has put AMSOIL in his outlander auto transmission, so far so good for him.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
transmission fluid is the one clincher where there may not be a suitable alternative. In my '07 with an auto transmisison, I have to use DiaQueen ATF-J2...there is no readily available aftermarket product I can use. I had to go to the stealership to get it. Nesser has put AMSOIL in his outlander auto transmission, so far so good for him.
That is incorrect. I am using DiaQueen J2 in my automatic transmission. AMSOIL in pretty much everything else.

I had a spirited email exchange with AMSOIL's tech services and they said to use Dia Queen J2 as the AMSOIL ATF product didn't meet the frictional requirements of the transmission but it does meet the viscosity. I did a VOA on the Dia Queen J2 fluid - which it turns out isn't a valid method for choosing a transmission fluid. I appreciate them being straight forward - you'll see in the application guide that AMSOIL does not specify any fluids for the AT except for Dia Queen J2 in the note [2].
2009 MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER 3.0L 6-cyl Engine Code [X] 6B31 - AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

I thought someone else on this board has AMSOIL Multi-vehicle ATF in their transmission but I wouldn't recommend it.

If I remember correctly service D only added brake calipers being disassembled, cleaned and lubing the sliders beyond all the other normal checks/service they do.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM

thanks for the correction Nesser. Could you provide me the VOA on the J2? I'd be really interested in seeing the results.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 PM

I have got some details on the "service" proposed. First of all, I have got these work items for "Service type D". Strangely enough, some of the things that were quoted separately were there (like checking the battery, inspecting tires, testing the antifreeze etc).

I have the screenshots with the service details - Picasa Web Albums - Nikolai Grigoriev - Mitsubishi in...