Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Shopping: 2007 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Default Shopping: 2007 Outlander

I'm currently car/suv shopping and trying to get all the information and make the right choice. I went to the Milwaukee Auto Show today and sat in the Outlander. To be honest, I was never even considering this vehicle, I was looking at the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V. I knew nothing out the Outlander, but since I was there, I sat in it and it's a wonderful vehicle. It (to me) is definitely better than the CR-V sitting next to it, so I'm not even considering the CR-V anymore. I still LOVE the RAV4 and I've never driven the Outlander. I love the comfort and styling of the Outlander, it seemed more stylish and grown up than the RAV4, it makes the RAV4 look very basic. I'd say my biggest issueis reputation (although with the warranty on the Outlander, even if something goes wrong, it'll be covered), if I'm going to spend near 30K on a vehicle, I want to get my money out of it. I always here how good Toyota is and how long they last which is one of the things that lead me to the RAV4.

While shopping and looking at the Outlander and RAV4, what advice can you give me? What should I look at? Pros? Cons?I live in the Midwest (Wisconsin). Primary driving is to and from work (8 miles one way) and occassional trips to Minnesota.

Also, how is the power on it? It has less Horsepower than the Rav4. Is it noticeable or not really an issue?

Any help or advice would be great!!

Thank you
Jill

Old 02-25-2007, 04:02 AM
Default RE: Shopping: 2007 Outlander

Welcome to the forum. The RAV4 and Outlander were my final two choices. I ended up getting the Outlander because I liked the technology and styling better than the RAV4.

Things I couldn't get on a RAV4:

Nav
Xenon headlights
3rd row seats plus leather
Music Server with 30gb CD storage
Paddle shifters
6 speed transmission
Adjustable 4WD
10 year drivetrain warranty
5 year bumper to bumper warranty
5 years roadside assistance
3.9% financing

The styling on the RAV4 just didn't do much for me, both inside and outside. The RAV4 is faster, but the Outlander has more than enough power and never feels slow to me. The Outlander's ride and seats are a little more firm than the RAV4, you should test drive both of them a few times back-to-back to see which suits you.

The highlights for my Outlander so far are the rockin 650W Rockford Fosgate stereo, excellent transmission, overall styling, and the Xenon lights.

Go test drive an Outlander!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:51 AM

I owned the previous generation RAV4 for 6 years, the longest I have ever owed a car. I loved my 2001 RAV. When the new style came out, I couldn't wait to get a new one. I just wanted the base model front wheel drive with a V6. Unfortunately, those can not be found around my area. I test drove 4 RAVs. Front wheel, 4 wheel, base and Sport. I so wanted to love this car, but I was not impressed. And the dealers would not budge off the sticker price. The 4X4 base would be over $25,000 and that was with out bells and whistles, just a basic car. But I kept the car in mind. I did half heartily look at other cars, the CR-V, Forester, Audi and VW wagons. But then the Outlander came out. I test drove and was very impressed. It had everything that I wanted, really just the basics ABS, V6, side curtian airbags, shiftable auto (always drove a manual before) and the dark gray color I wanted. I have had the car since November and I really do not have any complaints. I love the hatch opening up with the lower gate. I hated the swinging back door of the RAV. And I was able to get the Outlander for $5000 less than the RAV.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Sal

Jill,
This is the most unbiased reply you are ever going to get. You said you LOVE rav4 and trust Toyoda over Mitsu. Two good enough reasons for me. One should always go for what they love, trust and take pride in. If not, every small issue will be put under magnifying glass.

As far as one vehicle looking good on paper over other, value for money etc.. well we all would wind up with Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent if that was the case. GM's powertrain will go fine upto 200k but the rest of the car will start falling apart at 100k easily.

I would say there is a price for some intagibles that wont show on paper. Best way to do it is to do long test drives and look up CR ratings. If you dont need third row seat and a few grand this way or that way dont matter in the long run, then I'd go with CR-V or Rav4. Sure mitsu has some goodies but then they are nice to have for me. I dont even have a bluetooth cellphone go figure.. leather wrapped steering wheel while it looks nice, is very slippery etc..

Finally, the most important feature I'd say of any car is how quiet it is and how luxurious it feels suspension wise. Steering and suspension feel wont show up on any paper. So, its all individual choice. This is where camry excelsIMO. Steering depends on suspension geometry.It has to track straight yet easy on you. Excellent Suspension and quietness helps reduce the stress as well.

For me, outlander xls is a step up and since I already stretched my budget, Rav4 with third row seat was out of question. Yes I dont need the third row seat now but in future I might need it and this flexibility and versatility is what made me go for the outlander.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Sal.

I do love the RAV4, with that being said, I've driven it probably 4-5 times, read the advertising book, went on RAV4 forums and really hyped myself up for this car and never considered anything else. It's easy to fall in love when you feel like nothing else compares to it....then the Outlander comes along and I wonder if I really loved the RAV4 or it was just the best thing at the time.

I like that I am getting more on the Outlander than the RAV4, calculating online the Outlander is a few hundred more, but for that few hundred I am getting Navi. I like that there are more standard options on the Outlander. The third row seat isn't a real selling point, I dont have kids and by the time I do and are old enough to sit back there, I'll be getting a new one. I'm the only one of all the people I know under the 63" height limit to sit back there.

As for realibility, part of me feels that the warranty on the car will cover any issues that come up (hopefully).

It seems like everyone loves the Outlander and everyone loves their Rav, it just is coming down to personal preference. Basing on looks alone, I'm leaning towards the Outlander. A test drive will push me either way.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I appreciate it in the stressful car shopping time. If anyone has more to add, please do!

Old 02-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Sal

I suggest you try a CR-V as well. Honda is reknowned for their engine prowess. 166hp may not sound like much but it is quite peppy from what I heard with gas mileage to boot. Try an uplevel trim of CR-V along with mitsu XLS and please get back with your final buying decision process. Good Luck!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:44 PM

When my wife and I were looking for a mid size suv we looked at everything Hundayi, Toyota, Dodge,Honda,GM and we really took our time 4-5 months to make a decision and we kept going back to the Outlander.We purchased an Outlander XLS loaded including 4wd on Jan 10th and have loved every minute of it.The price cant be beat for all the options you get,and if price is an issue the lower es or ls models imho are bargins.Biscuit listed a few things that are great so let me add to them....Rides great on the highway,very car-like!! Our third test-drive on the freeway at highway speeds(80-85mph) was the final plus that sold us on the outlander.The next thing was the cargo space, it can hold our 2 golf bags and luggage and we can still see out the back!!The cargo space and ride are important to us as we travel to the n. georgia mtns. 4- 6 times a year.I have never been big on suvs but I really like the styling of the outlander especially the interior,very sporty!!The power is good(220hp) but I would like to see it at least reach 250. Compare a loaded outlander to anything similar and the outlander wins hands down everytime.If you live in snow areas get the 4wd ,it works well as we tested it this weekend in Georgia.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:08 PM

I've driven the CR-V and been in it before, I haven'tbeen impressed.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:30 PM

oddly enough, my wife and I looked at the same vehicles... I liked the toyota for the same reasons, its a toyota, and I can trust that. But any car company having the testicular fortitude to thow their car out there and put a 10yr, 100k mile warrenty gets a nod from me. Tells me, they werent ****tin around in the design stages. Also tells me that they went through the trouble of some serious torture testing... Or else they wouldnt selll it. If they didnt, and still sold it, they would lose their *** on warranty repairs... Then again, Toyota has absolutley legendary testing techniques that no-one else seems to bother with.

We decided on the Mitsu for cost, and size. First, after getting in the Rav4, it really is ALOT smaller inside than the mitsu. Second. Toytoa is really, and I mean REALLY proud of their little tyke. To get one as loaded as the XLS we got, we would have paid at least 5grand more or worse. Then there is the issue of drivability... Toyota has had zero success in any form of racing. save their own JGTC... which they basically funded for several years while it was getting off the ground. The Outlander rides on the same chassis as the evo x will, and that alone tells me alot about its durability... If mitsu is going to dump money into a car and send it out rally racing, then they know it had better be strong. and from what I can tell in my 4k miles of time with our new truck, it is.
Also, the fact that mitsu ditched the pajero rally truck, and is placing the outlander in its place tells me they are confident in it, and have built it well. I know we are talking about apples and oranges here, but they wouldnt throw money into making it a race vehicle if it couldnt win, and the only way to be sure of that, is in the design stages for generall production.

As for the toyota, All I know is that its a toyota, and that tells me alot. I know its strong, and I know the mechanicalls are where they need to be. After driving one, I can tell you the motor felt way underpowered, the suspension felt more floaty than the hyundai sante fe we also drove. the interior pieces fit well, but in typicall toyota fashion were harder, and had more glare than anything else. The seats were only confortable for short drives and the stupid spare tire on the back (which everyone else abandoned a long time ago) blocks your view a little.
But it is a toyota, and you know the reliablitly is there.

In the end, we chose the a white pearl outlander XLS, so far, we have had all the rear taillight replaced, including the lower reflectors, the rear corner bumper piece replaced, and the front end clunks... I have had to fight to get the work done, and it has been a royal pain in the ***.

But every time, and I do mean EVERY TIME I get behind the wheel, drop it over into sport-tronic mode, and go apex hunting, I leave with a smile. This was the right truck for me. I like fast cars, ones that corner flat, and dont shiver when you hit a bump mid-corner. I like cars with good motors, and good torque... I love a car that can handle perfectly when asked the right way, and doesnt cut your throat if you miss something. I like cars that can sit back, and become transparent when you dont want to rip around a corner at two, or three times the posted speed. I like my cars to be quiet, when I want them to be, and have the wrath of god when I want that.
Guess thats why I liked the outlander.

Oh, and pop the hood of toyota, and tell me where there racing experience paid off. I can see it all over the engine bay of the outlander. From the strut tower bar, to the radiator re-rill nozzle thats built into the upper radiator hose, so the new coolant doesnt shock the radiator, or motor. I see it in the aluminum valve covers, and the really strong motor mounts. From the airbox, that draws a ram air effect form in front of the radiator, to the huge brake master cylinder, its in the location of the fluid dipsticks, and the arangement of the suspension. These guys took what they learned racing and applied it to what they sell on the showroom floor. show me this stuff in the rav4, and ill be impressed.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 AM

ORIGINAL: soundcolor

Toyota has had zero success in any form of racing. save their own JGTC... which they basically funded for several years while it was getting off the ground.
Just for the record,Toyota has a fairly strong racing history in America:

2003 Indy 500 champion
2002 CART Manufacturer's and Driver's Championships
Daytona 24 Hours champion
12 Hours of Sebring champion
6 time Pikes Peak Hill Climb champion
Baja 500 champion
Baja 1000 champion
IMSA GTP driver's and manufacturer's titles
7 time SCORE International Off-Road desert series champions

Quick Reply: Shopping: 2007 Outlander