Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Snow Chains clearance issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Question Outlander GX3 2011 Snow Chains clearance issue

I have a 2011 Outlander GX3 (European) with tyre size: 225/55R18

My manual states only fit 9mm snow chains. I'm finding it near impossible to find 9mm chains to fit this combo. Has anyone fitted larger (11mm, 12mm, 16mm ?) chains to this combo successfully?

FYI:Winter tyres to be fitted next week. Am driving to French Alps end of Dec. It is a legal requirement to have chains in French Alps and police have been known to refuse mountain entry to motorists without chains even with wt tyres & 4x4. Tyres socks not an option. Michelin easy grip one option but would prefer standard steel chains.

thanks for any info.

Last edited by torihada; 11-18-2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: more relevant title
Old 11-18-2012, 04:54 AM

You dont say which country your from, heres an ebay link for ebay uk...
Ideal Car Snow Chains 9mm (x 2) XXXL - New 225/55 R18 255/35 R18 255/30 R19 | eBay

not tried these but im considering getting them . no experience of other sizes

Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tinker
You dont say which country your from, heres an ebay link for ebay uk...
Ideal Car Snow Chains 9mm (x 2) XXXL - New 225/55 R18 255/35 R18 255/30 R19 | eBay

not tried these but im considering getting them . no experience of other sizes
I'm in the UK. Thanks for the link. These are the only one's I'd also found so far. My hesitation in buying them were:

1. They're v. cheap (you get what you pays for)
2. 9mm chains on a 4x4 seems a little under equipped (I'll have to take it easy)
3. I think they may have contact with the alloys.

I'll probably get them with the understanding they're my last resort as I hope 4WD & winter tyres will see me through most conditions.

Thule do the K-Summit zero clearance chains but at £280 a pair I think I'll take my chances on the Ideal chains.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM

somewhere on ebay im sure you can get 12mm and 16mm snowchains but if the handbook states 9mm for clearance it may be dodgy using them

i would think 9mm on normal roads would be ok, the chain is only to give it some bite

Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 AM

These claim to be only 7mm but they look pretty beefy: SQUARE ALLOY CROSS CHAIN

Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Interesting, in my 08 LS manual it says under no circumstances shall snow chains be used as it will result in damage to brake components (I assume it means brake lines). Did they change the design later on?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Interesting, in my 08 LS manual it says under no circumstances shall snow chains be used as it will result in damage to brake components (I assume it means brake lines). Did they change the design later on?
IIRC my '11 Outlander Sport also says 'absolutely no chains'

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
IIRC my '11 Outlander Sport also says 'absolutely no chains'
The outlander sport is the Mitsubishi ASX (a crossover SUV) here in Europe and is a smaller car than the Outlander. But according to ASX forums here the manuals state tyre chains no larger than 9mm. I wonder if the more litigious USA prompts manufacturers to state no chains to stop lawsuits from people who don't read the manuals, fit over large chains and wreck their vehicles?

Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by torihada
The outlander sport is the Mitsubishi ASX (a crossover SUV) here in Europe and is a smaller car than the Outlander. But according to ASX forums here the manuals state tyre chains no larger than 9mm. I wonder if the more litigious USA prompts manufacturers to state no chains to stop lawsuits from people who don't read the manuals, fit over large chains and wreck their vehicles?
It's the exact same underlying platform/wheelbase. They essentially chopped off the back overhang and changed the sheetmetal a bit. Otherwise, its basically 95% the exact same car. I doubt they changed the braking system for the Sport/RVR/ASX when they created it.

Could be the reason, but that doesn't fly in Canada...

Last edited by ivanz; 11-20-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by ivanz
It's the exact same underlying platform/wheelbase. They essentially chopped off the back overhang and changed the sheetmetal a bit. Otherwise, its basically 95% the exact same car. I doubt they changed the braking system for the Sport/RVR/ASX when they created it.

Could be the reason, but that doesn't fly in Canada...
lol I think you mean replaced the sheetmetal with plastic No, seriously, the front and rear bumpers are plastic (not uncommon) but strangely, so are the front fenders!

But you are correct, the F&R overhangs are different, the engine is different, and the AWD system is different. Other than that it's just minor or cosmetic differences for the most part.

Quick Reply: Snow Chains clearance issue