Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Snow tires and Steel Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Default Snow tires and Steel Wheels

We are picking up our 2011 Outlander 4WD this afternoon. Living in Central New York, snow tires are not a option...they are required.

The SE comes with P225/55 R18 tires on 18x7J rims. I know the base model Outlander has P215/70 R16 tires on 16x6.5JJ wheels.

Here is my question.

Will 16x6.5JJ wheels fit on an SE?

Is there anything different in terms of brakes, etc.?

I'm thinking the 18" wheels are more style than anything.

I sure would be happier (and have a larger selection of tires available of less $$) if 16" wheels fit the SE.

Let me know your experiences.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2010, 08:46 AM

16 inch winter wheel is the standard choice in Canada.

That's what I run my 2010 XLS on in the winter. in fact the narower tire 215 vs 225 will give better control in the snow and taller tire 70 vs 55 will improve things on rough roads.

I use steel wheels for corrosion reason (Aluminum does not work well with road salt).
I don't use TPMS in the steel wheel as it's not mandatory in Canada as in the US. Plus the cost of the sensor and the twice a year trip to a dealer or else to get the sensor recorder in the computer does not make sense to me.

5 Seconds after the warning you can press the info button to get rid of the message, the icon will flash for a while then stay lit.

You will be more annoyed by the Outlander's insistence at warning you of impending doom (ice on the road) when the temperature fall below 3 C or 37 F.

18 inch are used for both aesthetic and road holding on summer roads but the 16 inch are the best choice for winter crappy road.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Thanks Claude, that is what I was thinking, but I just wanted confirmation.

The TPMS is another thing. I would pass on the sensors also, but here is my quandary on that. In New York State a vehicle will not pass inspection if there is a warning light on. As we are purchasing this car now, annual inspections will always be when the snows are on...and too, the light.

Maybe next year we can have the inspection done before we switch to the snows, deal with the light through the winter, then back to the stock wheels w/TPSM until after the next fall inspection.

I really liked Nokian Hakka RSi snows on the Suby Impreza we just traded in...it looks like Nokian has a Hakka RSUV that will fill the bill.

Since you live in a snowy region, what do you have for floor mats in your Outlander? I have Husky Liners in my Tacoma, but I did not see them available for the Mitsu.

Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:32 AM

I'm using WeatherTech digitalfit

Passenger cabin
http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...1004&Year=2010

Cargo area
http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...1004&Year=2010

They don't list 2011 but it's the same as 2010

They fit really nice and tight.

Attached Thumbnails Snow tires and Steel Wheels-mats.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Four Nokian Hakka R SUVs on 16" black steel are waiting for me tomorrow morning.

We had the RSi tires on the Impreza and I had them on a diesel Golf with 1.5" of LIFT and an aluminum rally belly pan. This lake effect will pound us with 2"+ an hour for anywhere from 5 minutes to three days at a hit.

I'll stick with my Tacoma with BFG TA All Terrains. I love the tires, and with the locking rear and a few tubes of sand...my district rarely closes so I've got a 20 mile commute north, into the heart of the snow.

I'll let you know how this all goes.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Here's the look.

Name:  Photo067.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  51.2 KB
Name:  Photo068.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  49.8 KB
Name:  Photo069.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  82.5 KB

Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Nice and the wheel covers are a nice touch.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
Nice and the wheel covers are a nice touch.
Thanks,
$15 at a big box store for four, then a little time with Krylon black spray paint for plastic and a rag with mineral spirits.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM

great report and photos
Thanks for sharing them with us.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM

hey, i can totally understand where your coming from. being a NY resident myself we are getting pounded this winter with snow, but truthfully i am extremely impressed with my 07 outy XLS with the 18in sport rims in the snow, i had no problems getting out of thick foot and half to 2 feet of snow parking spots. grant it i dont have the stock tires anymore these hancooks i have are killer. I was thinking winter tires and rims my self but after driving with the 18's i see no purpose. unless ofcourse u want to keep the luster shine, lol.

Quick Reply: Snow tires and Steel Wheels