Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Default spark plugs

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum. Enjoying my 2004 Outlander. I'm coming up on my 24000 km service and the dealer wants to change the spark plugs. I looked in the owners manual and it specifically says that the outlander comes with Iridium plugs. And in the service manual it says that if you have Iridium plugs you shouldn't be changing them until something like 150000km (around there).

So, does anyone know if the outlander does indeed come with Iridium plugs? Also, if it doesn't, can anyone recommend some good ones. The dealer wants $19 for each plug and I think I can get them a lot cheaper than that.

BTW I'm in Canada (Toronto) and I'd prefer to just buy plugs from Canadian Tire, so if you can recommend plugs available there that would be great. I've heard that the motomaster plugs are actually NKG.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Default RE: spark plugs

am' sportin bosch plat. 4 series spark plug. but before that my outtie. is sportin NGK iridium.( dealer installed) and so, far w/ plat4 my outtie is runnin w/ more power and torque. plus its cheaper compare to iridiums.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:43 PM
JMC

Go Bosch bro! Have them put those in or you do it....you feel the difference.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:58 PM

This is the first good review I have ever heard for Bosch Platinum 4 plugs. Iridium plugs are longer lasting and provide a better spark. Spark plugs do not affect performance much unless they are worn out. However, there is no better material for a plug tip than iridium. For performance the best plugs are the Denso Fine wire iridium plugs with the 0.4mm tip. If your car came with Iridiums they are good for 100k miles. However, the OE plugs do not work quite as well as the Denso "fine wire tip" plugs, but they last longer. The fine wire plugs are only good for about 30k miles. If you want a good source for spark plugs, or to see what fits your car go to

www.sparkplugs.com.

If you want to read about the developement of iridium spark plugs and how tip size affects spark and engine performance go here:

http://www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/topics/2005/06_1.html

BTW, your dealer is FOS.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
JMC

Interesting...I'll have to check those out. I did feel a difference between the Bosch and whatever came stock in the Outlander.
Dood....yeah the deal is full of ****...duh.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
JMC
Old 08-13-2005, 03:57 PM

wow.....almost 12 bucks, but again denso is guarantee performance.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:37 PM
JMC

It might be worth it..........I'm gonna give it a try, what the fuzz.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:07 AM

but again....stick w/ bosch, hey its the outtie!!! ( hell, we dont need denso for outtie...lol)

Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM

I'm assuming that this 24K maintenance service is to "keep up" with the warranty "requirement", right?

So, if the manual says plug doesn't need to be replaced but plug replacement was recommeded by the service dealer, do you have to
accept the dealer's proposal so warranty isn't voided??

Good to hear another torontonian on board!

Quick Reply: spark plugs