Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Touch up your Sport lighting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Default Touch up your Sport lighting!

Here are a couple of light replacements you can do to touch up your Outlander Sport, without going overboard into ricer land. These cheap light replacements will help provide a slightly more luxurious look of more expensive vehicles.

I replaced the T10 (W5W) running light bulbs that are in the upper corner in the headlights with single LED white bulbs. They are white, but the color temp shows a somewhat blue look in the photo. Vehicles such as Audi are known for the similar white LEDs in the headlight assemblies.

These are what was used for the headlights, and are not too bright, they just add effect: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I then changed the rear license plate T10 bulbs with 5 SMD emitter white bulbs. They are the perfect brightness level and coverage for the plate lighting. These are the ones I purchased: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I hope you will try the look out for as cheap as you can attempt it. Enjoy!

Old 01-15-2011, 08:28 PM

I did some lighting mods to my 2007 Outlander too.
Actually, quite a bit. LOL

- HID headlight
- Yellow Fogs
- LED rear license plate light
- LED bright white dome light
- I wired a LED stripe near the floor, looks good too.
I also remove that little running light bulb for my Outlander. I didn't want 3 colors from the front. So now is just HID blue and yellow fogs. FTW!

I enjoy doing lighting mods, lol. But I think that's it from now on.
Post a pic tomorrow.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShortyRider
I did some lighting mods to my 2007 Outlander too.
Actually, quite a bit. LOL

- HID headlight
- Yellow Fogs
- LED rear license plate light
- LED bright white dome light
- I wired a LED stripe near the floor, looks good too.
I also remove that little running light bulb for my Outlander. I didn't want 3 colors from the front. So now is just HID blue and yellow fogs. FTW!

I enjoy doing lighting mods, lol. But I think that's it from now on.
Post a pic tomorrow.
Yellow bulbs or yellow hid? Might be a dumb question
Any pictures of these?

Also OP, looks good.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 AM

We need a mod to remove and ban the IDIOT named NhocCuteGirl.

It's a spammer merely copying posts to get their pathetic little signature line on the forum.

Those programs you are advertising all suck by the way, NhocCuteGirl.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:14 PM

hold on a sec, you didnt put those LED's as your headlights did you?...

Old 01-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

If you do a search on youtube you can see the result of LED bulbs in the headlight socket.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Yeah, they have LED in light bulbs already. Just remove old, place in new bulb. LED done.

I just went with yellow H11 bulb. I didn't think it was worth the hassle for HID fogs.
For anyone who want to replace fog bulbs, it was a pain and not fun. LOL
Passenger side was okay, just pull the under shield off, you will see the socket. The washer bottle is somewhat in the way, just play with it, it will come out.
Driver side was a different story. Had to pull both under shield and fender linear. Rip off some bumper clips, then you could get at it.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
hold on a sec, you didnt put those LED's as your headlights did you?...
Who, me?

Definitely not!

I tried to explain and link to the bulbs I replaced and used, but I imagine you took it wrong when I said, "These are what was used for the headlights". I should have worded it differently, my bad. I should have said, "running lights" in that sentence instead.

But yeah, I have HID factory lights on my Sport, and they are amazing. I would certainly never change the lighting that Mitsubishi designed there and did such a good job with.

Those LEDs I put in place of the running lights put out about 15 lumens, so they are only good for having as a marking light, and nothing more.

Now, I did just order these last night: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Those are amber LEDs for the front turn signals. They should be much more visible to traffic than the factory filament bulbs. The new ones consist of a triangle of 6 emitter chips on each side, 18 emitters total. Emitters deliver much higher brightness from less input wattage. Any way to reduce the power requirements on the alternator is good in my book, so long as nothing good is sacrificed for doing so.

I also ordered white LED bulbs for the rear turn signals that go under the red housings. The ones I selected and predicted to provide better brightness than factory are here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT 27 emitter LEDs. Should be great.

Neither of the two latest bulbs types ordered have arrived. I will report back when they do.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 AM

Hey Matt, ya i re-read the post and noticed you did say running lights...

ya u cant run LED's as headlights just yet....Although AUDI just did it in their new A8

Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ryandlor
Hey Matt, ya i re-read the post and noticed you did say running lights...

ya u cant run LED's as headlights just yet....Although AUDI just did it in their new A8
Well, actually you can, but you would have to have me build them for you.

I build flashlights and lasers in my free time. Currently, the lighting bulbs found on eBay use combinations of very low outputting LED emitters. They use the theory of combining a large amount of low output LEDs to end up with a large total output. The problem is, by comparison to true high-output emitters, even their groupings of 68 SMDs come out at a very low lumen output.

Standard (halogen) vehicle headlights are said to put out a true 900 lumens per side. HID lights are up around 2000 lumens and more. There are currently some emitters on the market which can output over 2000 lumens, all the way up to over 3000 lumens. One example of such an emitter is a Luminus SST-90. Link: http://www.luminus.com/content1507

Photo:

Yes, that tiny emitter can output as much as an HID ignitor!

It's actually a very large emitter by LED standards, if you look closely, there are about 9 gold very tiny feed wires for pumping electricity into the silicon emitter chip in the center. This gives a good hint towards some serious electrical flow into the chip, as most LEDs only have 1 or 2 wires.

The only problem is that LEDs produce light a little differently than a light bulb does, so you cannot expect to replace a bulb with one and achieve a good coverage pattern on the road. For this to happen, a new reflector assembly would most likely need to be designed.

An LED showers light from the very center of the chip. The light all originates from a tiny point, and the light mostly leaves in a forward direction. A light bulb sends light out from all directions, in a spherical output. So a light bulb requires a big large dome reflector around it, to bounce that big circular output of photons into a forward beam. An LED emitter only requires a small reflector around it, one the size of a tennis ball half, to shape the light effectively. This is a good thing for headlight producers, but a bad thing for people wanting to do a quick swap of their old light bulbs.

A very good thing about emitters is that they are incredibly energy efficient. By far, they are the most powerful light sources per watt of energy.

A bulb is a large object for a light source, and thus, only one of them is placed at the center of the light assembly. When we want more output, we have to design a more powerful single bulb in a halogen or HID lighting system. This is where emitters get very interesting, and down right nastily powerful. LED emitters can be grouped together. You already knew those little tiny LEDs could be grouped together for the various bulbs that are already sold. But those LEDs, at only a few lumens output each, aren't very exciting when you see an HID's output. Now, let's upscale things into the world of truly powerful light emitters. A single SST-90 emitter can match the output of a 35W HID bulb, at over 2000 lumens. They achieve this at about 27 watts. If you wanted more power, you could place two SST-90s right next to one another. Or, you could do a square of four of them for 8000 lumens per side.

Building the emitter systems is fairly easy for someone with basic electronics knowledge, and also with a little bit of machining ability or tools.

Basically, the emitter is attached to a copper plate with some thermal epoxy. The copper should be a thick cylinder when using something high outputting like an SST-90. You would put fins around the circumference of the cylinder, and the emitter(s) would be glued onto the front of the cylinder. Then all you need is some appropriate sized power feed wires soldered onto the emitter chips at (+) and (-) points, and a reflector in the front to shape the light output. Of course, these chips can be current modulated, so any output could be achieved under the maximum output. You could have a dimmer **** on them if you wanted to.

I am going to be building an SST-90 test light soon, and will be posting pictures of the output. It will not be replacing my HIDs, but I may end up using them in the fog lights. It depends on if I can achieve a desired pattern without blinding folks.

Quick Reply: Touch up your Sport lighting!