Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Trailer Hitch install (photo Update)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Default Trailer Hitch install (photo Update)

Finally got my trailer hitch install last night at my local shop it's a Curt class 3, and they install the hidden hitch ball mount (Angle Cut Class III Ball Mount, 6,000 LB. 16" Length, 2-3/4" Rise, 4" Drop, Black ) and it clear more then enough the tail gate they said that if I want it cut a little shorter that they will do it for free when needed.
Today I'm getting the OEM wiring harness install at my dealer since it's a plug and play I rather have the stock harness then having someone hacking in my wires and the price difference was not big between the aftermarket and the OEM at the dealer. I will take picture of the setup this weekend when I have a minute.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Default RE: Trailer Hitch install

Could of saved alot of money on installs and did it all your self in less than a hour.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: antlip

Could of saved alot of money on installs and did it all your self in less than a hour.
I know but did not have the time with my job and the sell of my second house and it only cost me 50$ of labour for the install of the hitch

Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 PM

In the time it took to drop off and pick up you could of had it done but if your that busy and have no time at all the 50$ aint bad at all for a dealership doing it. Surprised it was so cheap usually everything they do is at least 100$ including oil changes haha.Post up pics when you get them.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM

photo update

Name:  DSCF0003.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  89.1 KB

Oem mitsubishi wiring harness
Name:  DSCF0004-1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  31.7 KB
Name:  DSCF0007.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  93.9 KB
Name:  DSCF0008.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  88.4 KB

Old 09-30-2007, 07:31 PM

With the hitch ballthat far out from the vehicle may cause some handling issues and lift on the front of the vehicle if you have a high tongue weight. If you use hitch activated brakes and there is too much sag you will cause the trailer to brake when you hit bumps which can cause damage to the vehicle and could cause you to loose control.

This is a pic of the miniban with 150psi in the air shocks. It leveled it out quite nicely. We had to go with a ball mount that was shorter so we didnt lever the front tires off the ground and the van is much longer and heavier than the Outie.

btw this is a boat doing an impersonation of a float

Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere

With the hitch ballthat far out from the vehicle may cause some handling issues and lift on the front of the vehicle if you have a high tongue weight. If you use hitch activated brakes and there is too much sag you will cause the trailer to brake when you hit bumps which can cause damage to the vehicle and could cause you to loose control.

This is a pic of the miniban with 150psi in the air shocks. It leveled it out quite nicely. We had to go with a ball mount that was shorter so we didnt lever the front tires off the ground and the van is much longer and heavier than the Outie.

btw this is a boat doing an impersonation of a float

I know it's long the Guy at the trailer shop said that I would be more then fine towing my 5x8 trailer. Right now it's at 16 inch long but I'm going back tomorrow to get it cut down shorter because I don't feel comfortable with the length and I want to make sure not to damage my Outie, so I will be more happy when it's going to be cut a little shorter around 11.5-12 inch and won't be
afraid to use it.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 AM

If you cut and drill it make sure you paint the cut part. They all rust eventually but with it cut it will rust almost immediately. The rust makes getting the hitch and pin a pain to get in and out.

It shouldnt be as bad with the 5x8 trailer as it would be with a heavier set up.

The hitch that comes with the outie set up is the main reason why I went OEM. I figured they had to have designed it that way for a reason and I figured purchasing one separate from Mitsu for an aftermaket hitch would defeat the money saved going aftermarket. Plus I got the mudflaps too.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere

If you cut and drill it make sure you paint the cut part. They all rust eventually but with it cut it will rust almost immediately. The rust makes getting the hitch and pin a pain to get in and out.

It shouldnt be as bad with the 5x8 trailer as it would be with a heavier set up.

The hitch that comes with the outie set up is the main reason why I went OEM. I figured they had to have designed it that way for a reason and I figured purchasing one separate from Mitsu for an aftermaket hitch would defeat the money saved going aftermarket. Plus I got the mudflaps too.
[align=left][/align]
Thx for pointing out the rust thing I did not think about that oneifI apply tremclad rust proof spraypaint that should do the trick no and I only put theball mount on when I need it so most of the time it's in the basement so I presume I should be fine!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 AM

I found that aDrawTite ball mountwith the following specs fits perfectly with the Curt hitch.8-1/8" long from center of pin hole to center of ball hole and has 2-3/4" rise or 4" drop. Check outmy install details of the exact same set-up for ball mount pics and how I handled the wiring. I also don't like the way they just wedged your wiring between the hitch and the bumper cover.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch install (photo Update)