Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tranny fluid change - my way

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Default Tranny fluid change - my way

Disclaimer: I understand this only removed half of the old fluid. I will do a follow up procedure soon to get more old fluid out.

Last time I had the ATF change was at 30-something thousand miles, done by my local dealer.

I was going on a trip from South Florida to Rhode Island and didn't have time to stop by the dealer. So I bought 5 quarts of Diaqueen J2.

I also have a Mityvac fluid extractor, so I figured I would use it instead of undoing the drain bolt - less mess this way.

I ended pumping out close to 5 quarts of the old fluid... that was a suprise.

But anyway - I put 5 quarts of new J2 in. Then measured (on flat surface with engine running). Too much. Which means that the dealer put too much in at the previous change. So I pumped some out until all was good on the dipstick.

P.S. Also changed oil before hitting the road.

Attached Thumbnails Tranny fluid change - my way-img_00000282.jpg   Tranny fluid change - my way-img_00000321.jpg   Tranny fluid change - my way-img_00000322.jpg   Tranny fluid change - my way-img_00000339.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Banned

Nicely done bro.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
Disclaimer: I understand this only removed half of the old fluid. I will do a follow up procedure soon to get more old fluid out.

Last time I had the ATF change was at 30-something thousand miles, done by my local dealer.

I was going on a trip from South Florida to Rhode Island and didn't have time to stop by the dealer. So I bought 5 quarts of Diaqueen J2.

I also have a Mityvac fluid extractor, so I figured I would use it instead of undoing the drain bolt - less mess this way.

I ended pumping out close to 5 quarts of the old fluid... that was a suprise.

But anyway - I put 5 quarts of new J2 in. Then measured (on flat surface with engine running). Too much. Which means that the dealer put too much in at the previous change. So I pumped some out until all was good on the dipstick.

P.S. Also changed oil before hitting the road.
That sounds like a much better way, and you know it's done right, what model of Mityvac did you use?

Brian

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by BrianB
That sounds like a much better way, and you know it's done right, what model of Mityvac did you use?

Brian
Mityvac 7201

Old 07-22-2013, 09:02 PM

PS. The engine oil - I do them the traditional way - drain bolt.

But tranny fluid changes - the Mityvac. Although I have dropped the ATF pan a couple of times on my GTO.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ruski
Mityvac 7201
Thanks for the info and the fast response.

Brian

Old 08-03-2013, 04:59 PM

is that mitivac good for extracting the power steering fluid? I herd you need a special tool to get down in there

Old 08-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

You don't need any suction tool to change the power steering fluid.

Stick the suction line into a fresh quart of fluid, and the return line into an old milk jug. Crank the car over with the MPI fuse pulled and get 'er done.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 AM

Mpi fuse?? What is the mpi and where is it? When does mitsubishi recommend changing it?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Banned

Screw when Mitsubishi says to change it. When it looks brown and smells like crap, change it.

Either yank the MPI or the EFI (multi point injection and electronic fuel injection) this will prevent the car from starting while you crank over the engine and get the fluid circulating.

Turn the wheel all the way left then all the way right when you're cranking. Then stop when the fluid coming out of the return looks like the fluid going in. Put the hoses back on correctly, fill the reservoir, replace the fuse, start the car, and turn the steering wheel all the way to both sides to bleed the system of any air. Do this a couple times.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid change - my way