Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transmission/Differntial Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Default Transmission/Differntial Fluid Change

When the Transmission fluid and Front/Rear Differential fluids are changed, does this also include the transfer case? In other words, is the transfer case fluid change normally part of these other services?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-20-2012, 05:03 PM

no it is not

Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanks for your response mxmike.
The dealership was supposed to change trans, front & rear diff & transfer case. They put on the receipt trans, front & rear diff fluids. When questioned by my wife about the transfer case not being on the receipt, they said that the transfer case is done with the transmission. Does this sound right? This is my first 4WD vehicle, so I'm not sure what is correct.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM
tcp

The front differential is combined with the transmission (transaxle is the proper technical term). Up front there is also a transfer case with its own unique oil that outputs the driveshaft to the rear. At the rear end is a differential that has its own fluid as well. That means there are three fluids that should be changed.

Transmission fluid - up front with integrated differential in the same fluid.
Transfer case - up front as well
Rear differential - in the back between the rear wheels.

While the terminology sounds suspect on the invoice, they probably changed the three fluids they were supposed to.

Originally Posted by 2010CanOutie
Thanks for your response mxmike.
The dealership was supposed to change trans, front & rear diff & transfer case. They put on the receipt trans, front & rear diff fluids. When questioned by my wife about the transfer case not being on the receipt, they said that the transfer case is done with the transmission. Does this sound right? This is my first 4WD vehicle, so I'm not sure what is correct.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 09-21-2012, 05:12 PM

Thanks tcp, that clears it up. I think that is more or less how they explained it to my wife.
When I originally called for a price, I was told $260. When the car was brought in they said that the price quoted was a mistake and wanted more money. To their credit, the Mitsu dealer stuck with the price quoted, so I had the three fluids changes for $260 plus tax.

Mark

Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Hey 2010Can,

did they do a complete flush or just a change for $260?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Rylandor,

$260 was for the transmission, front & rear differential.
The wording on the bill is "fluid service". I assume they just did a fluid change and not a "complete flush". It is what Mitsu calls for in the Type D service. I think it would be normal to just change the fluids much like you would do changing the engine oil.

What would a "flush" involve? Why would a flush be necessary if the fluids are changed regularly?

Mark

Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2010CanOutie
Rylandor,

$260 was for the transmission, front & rear differential.
The wording on the bill is "fluid service". I assume they just did a fluid change and not a "complete flush". It is what Mitsu calls for in the Type D service. I think it would be normal to just change the fluids much like you would do changing the engine oil.

What would a "flush" involve? Why would a flush be necessary if the fluids are changed regularly?

Mark
Flush actually is 2X the amount of fluid. Flush uses a vac to suck out old fluid, fill it up, run it, then flush it agian and put in fluids again. TRany's a bit diff than engine oil since you only change every 60k for severe, otherwise 80k. That stuff is black and full of metal bits...flush gets out alot more, change leaves alot of old fluid in.

My Mitsu dealer charges (London ontario ) cahrges about $300 for Tranny flush...diffs not included.

Thast why I was asking, $260 for tranny + diff is a greta price on a tranny flush..let alone rear diff.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 AM

The two dealerships in my area do not do flushes or "changes"...they do drain and fill, which will only change out 2 - 2.5 quarts out of the 8 or so needed to change all the fluid out. Devil is in the details

Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Flush actually is 2X the amount of fluid.
The invoice shows the following for "parts"

Transmission Fluid Service Qty 1 4031610 Dia Queen J3 ATF @ $128.63
Front Differential Fluid Service Qty 2 75W90 Gear Oil @ $25.22 ($12.61 Ea)
Front Differential Fluid Service Qty 2 75W90 Gear Oil @ $25.22 ($12.61 Ea)

I assume the Gear oil is 2x 1 Litre Bottles for each front and back. Does this sound right?
Roughly how much is Dia Queen J3 ATF per litre?

Mark

Quick Reply: Transmission/Differntial Fluid Change