Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

A trip to the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Default A trip to the dealer

Here is what i got done....bought a remote for key less entry (the *** i bought it off lost it)....Got the oil and filter changed.....and the brakes serviced.....

Here is what they recommend I do....the air conditioner was acting up so they said to replace the pressure sensor....at $348 parts and labour it is a big job.......could this be replaced easily on my own?

As well they recommended a transmission and power steering fluid flush at $80 a pop......i would love to learn how to do this on my own.....is it possible? any tricks or tips?

thanks guys....I'm loving the forum.....

G

Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Default RE: A trip to the dealer

Hi, wasn't someone from the Forumsuppose to post something regarding the shop manual on CD for the Outlanders? If you had that CD your problems would be over. The fixes you are listing are regular maintenance so, very doable... Now where do you drain the steering system???

Old 06-05-2007, 02:21 PM

No, you cannot do a A/C pressure switch by yourself. Not without an A/C reccvery/recycler at least. And for the fluid flush, PS flush is a crock. If you are having PS problems a flush won't fix it, and no manufacturer has ever included a PS fluid flush in their reccomended maintenance. This is an "upsell" in the ultimate definition of the word. And it would make me think twice about the integrity of the dealership. A/T fluid flush is a valid repair, and cannot be done on your own neither. You could "drain and refill" the transmission, but this is poinbtless, as you only drain out about 3 quarts, and the transmission holds about 12. Flushing it does just that, flushes through enough fluid (while the car is running) to replace the majority of the fluid in the trans.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I would call around on the AC repair, tell them that you need a pressure switch and just get prices. I dont go with the cheapest unless there are several for the same price, I also ask questions to get an idea of what kind of shop they are.

Stay away from chains such as meineke, firestoneor tune up places they are built onup sell so you spend more $

As far as flushing the tranny I paid $150 on my van and that was the going rate here which included changing the filters too. at 100K I would change the filters as well.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Remember that Mitsu's require a special fluid for the trans fluid, and not all shops will know (or use) it.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:45 AM

in the end i went for the trans fluid hoping it would fix my reving issue......i took a pass on the power steering fluid...and after reading what you guys posted im glad i did....i have some driving to do today so ill let you know if the repairs worked out....

the dealership had to order the pressure sensor part from the states...dont think it is kinda weird that they would not have one in stock......?? what ever it is i hope it does the job and then im done with repairs for a while......

Old 06-06-2007, 09:23 AM

Nah, special orders are very common, especially if your problem isn't one they see every day. Can't expect them to keep every part for every car in stock.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Ya, I've worked in a Mitsu parts department for over 3 years and have never ordered a A/C pressure switch for an Outlander before.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:18 PM
JMC

That sounds very similar to the recall........

Old 06-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Have no heard of a recall on the Outlander A/C.

Quick Reply: A trip to the dealer