Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Upgrade from manual to automatic a/c on a ZG ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Default Upgrade from manual to automatic a/c on a ZG ?

Hi Guys, just had a thought running through my head, I recently acquired an Australian '07 ZG LS which only has manual a/c fitted. Wondered whether it would be an easy job to plug in the right parts (sourced from breakers) to upgrade to automatic a/c ? Do I just need the dash control console or do I need a new backend a/c control unit as well (would they bother manufacturing 2 types of backend control units) ? What about temp sensors and the like ? I've got access to a service manual. I guess it all depends on whether the required wiring is already in place. Anybody attempted to do this ? Can it be this easy ? I've got a hunch that I just need the dash control unit.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 PM

Ok, cleared up this post quite a bit. Disregard anything you read before. You may need ECU coding to enable this, so extra steps (or parts) may be needed.

Here is what you need:
RHD dash connectors: http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2...622ab00eng.png
Photo sensor in C-05
Dash connectors part 2:http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4...622ac00eng.png
Interior temperature sensor in C-123
A/C ECU in C-110 and C-111
and perhaps:
Interior A/C Control Panel in C-120.

Last edited by ivanz; 04-07-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: rewrote everything for RHD
Old 04-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Forgot to add photo sensor may not be necessary, as 0V from the sensor indicates direct sunshine, while 5V indicates pitch black. Interior cabin sensor can be temporarily replaced with a 4.0 kΩ resistor to simulate 25*C inside the cabin to test the ECU (there are only 2 pins for the sensor).

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Cheers, your speedy reply is much appreciated.
I wouldn't have figured a photo sensor would be required.
Now to embark on a parts hunt...not to many ZG's being wrecked in Australia at the moment!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Yep. Keep in mind any current gen Lancer will work as well. In fact, after reading the Lancer connector diagram, the Lancer lacks the photo sensor but uses the *exact* same A/C ECU unit. This means you can improve the A/C on the Lancer by connecting a photo sensor

Old 04-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Lets us know how you get on and how much it costs. I may nbe interested in doing this myself. Thanks

Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 PM

I've had no luck as yet sourcing used parts (from a Lancer CJ series or Outlander ZG series) here in Australia.
I had a peek behind my glove box to see what a/c ecu was sitting there (I'm assuming its the a/c ecu as it has two micro connectors going in). I got the following numbers off the side of the box;

7820A209
CAB501A065
VL-07
ver. 6407

is this the same box as the one used by automatic a/c ?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM

Hmm, good question. I googled it and it appears to be an A/C module. The service manual makes no mention of part numbers...it just refers to an "A/C" ECU for both manual and automatic air conditioning.
I was under the assumption there was no A/C ECU for the base A/C...but now I see that ECU controls motors for the fans and ducting gates. So all must have an A/C ECU.

From visual inspect alone, the automatic A/C cars have a front panel which is a bit different from the non automatic ones. The front panel uses only 2 wires to communicate with the A/C ECU (minus the analog potentiometre for the air flow speed), which the manual implies is over the CAN Bus.
This leads me to believe one the following is true:

1. The panel tells the ECU if it has the auto air conditioning.
2. The ECU has a coded option telling the A/C ECU it is automatic or the automatic A/C ECU is a different part number.
3. The presence of a cabin temperature sensor or photo sensor tells the ECU that it is automatic.

I am guessing it is most likely not 3, as some sensor inputs would trick the ECU into thinking they are not present. Likewise, option 2 is also not very likely, since the only reference to the coding option is for the A/C ECU to determine what region it is in to comply with local laws.

So my best guess would be only a front panel is needed if you want automatic A/C.

Keep in mind I have never done this and have only derived this from the service manual for the Lancer and Outlander.

Last edited by ivanz; 04-18-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks again Ivanz for you infinite wisdom.
Typing in 7820A209 brings up a lot of russion mitsi part websites.
I also agree that it seems reasonable that by adding the automatic a/c control panel (plus temp sensor) should give me the auto functions I'm looking for. I might even go as far as to say that I bet the manual control panel and the auto share a lot of common circuitry for the simple reason that a generic solution is cheaper to produce. If only I had the skills and know-how to work out how to send an auto on/off signal to the a/c ecu. I might pay a visit to the local mitsi dealer and see if I can get hold of part numbers for the auto a/c control panel. I bet the price is astronomical!
Is there a right hand drive (Australian) outlander service manual available somewhere ? I can only find the russian auto club left hand drive one.
Cheers.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 PM

The Russian one (original Mitsubishi software) has both LHD and RHD. That's where I got the diagrams from.

Quick Reply: Upgrade from manual to automatic a/c on a ZG ?