Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Venting Post 1

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Default Venting Post 1

Driving to work last Thursday.Stop at a traffic light and 2008 3.0L stalls. Restart and RPMs are erratic. Step on accelerator and barely have enough power to move.
Limped to dealer and left it.
Later that day dealer tells me they can not find the cause and need to speak with tech center on west coast USA (Im on the east coast) Hours later find out that they found the problem and I need a new throttle body (TB) and new PCM. TB can be available next day, but PCM...none in the US.
Today speak again and no definite PCM delivery date, maybe 10 days.
I ask, is it me, or does it seem unreasonable to go likely 2 weeks or more for a repair?

Anyone else experience this?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:06 AM
ndj

Totally unreasonable and if this work is being done under manufacturers warranty I would demand a replacement vehicle for the time you are without your car.

In my experience in the UK, Mitsubishi do not keep a full inventory of replacements parts; I don't expect they have the financial ability to do so as they are a niche brand in this region.

Something all owners should consider before buying another Mitsubishi in my opinion and the reason (in addition to my joke of a local Mitsubishi dealership) that I'm currently migrating my "fleet" to BMW.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM

I agree....I have never had worse service anywhere at anytime - for a car or anything else.

It's a shame too since it will prevent me from buying another mitsubishi. we actually like our outlander but there is way too much headache trying to get things repaired or looked at under warranty....

Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 AM

PCM and throttle body failed same time? Either your Outlander was hit by a fireball or you dealer is lame giving you pure BS.

Failing throttle body is EASILY diagnosable!
If you're still on warranty thread on dealership as hard as you can. If warranty's over just go to any mechanic - don't be rip-off by dealership!

FYI both used throttle body and engine computer cost about $150 each.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Default Day 6 Update

A person described to me as the regional manager has allowed me a loaner for up to $300 at Mitsu expense. Trouble is that at $30/day cost, I'll be beyond the $300 long B4 my Outie is fixed.
I'm told now that a PCM is not even available from Japan. It seems they'll need to get one from the supplier to the factory.
This makes no sense to me. Don't they build these vehicles everyday?
ETA is still 10 days or more.
Vehicle is under warranty with 43k miles.
Although I'm quite disappointed that the company that builds these vehicles can not get them back in service in a reasonable time, as long as they work to minimize cost and
inconvenience to me, I'll be acceptable with it.
I do like the SUV and would like many more years from it.
Can anyone tell me what about the TB can fail?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Default Used PCM

I forgot to ask in my last update.
I asked the dealer today why they can not remove a PCM from a car in inventory.
I was told that the PCM was very much customized to the vehicle and once "burned" to match all aspects and features of the car could not be changed. In other words he implied you can never re-purpose these from one vehicle to another.
In a reply above it was implied a PCM could be purchased used.
Is the dealer blowing smoke????

Old 12-07-2011, 04:51 AM
ndj

Originally Posted by dbehrens@rochester.rr.com
Is the dealer blowing smoke????
My immediate reaction is yes, but I note that your car is a 2008 so there MAY BE differences in the units due to model year changes.

The best way to validate is ask the dealer to quote you the part number for the unit in your car and for a current model year car.

If they are the same I would suggest this is a straight swap.

Last edited by ndj; 12-07-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Not to try to make excuses for anyone, but my dealer's parts people have told me that they are having a difficult time sourcing OE parts due to the earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan.

It seems that some Japanse suppliers are in the earthquake zone.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 AM
ndj

Reasonable point but I think many companies are now using this as an excuse rather than it still being a reason.

All automakers & most multinational manufacturing companies have "continuity of supply" agreements with their component suppliers to address such an event. Put simply they must have multiple manufacturing locations for each component part.

Also, as I travel in Japan monthly I can safely say that any real shortages hit in May/June time and have now been addressed.

Ironically the recent floods in Thailand are likely to have a bigger impact as many component makers have facilities in this lower cost region. But again, continuity of supply kicks in!

Just good old poor Mitsubishi customer service is the likely scenario here.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Funniest thing is, all the MITSU Commercials I am seeing latley are "THE BEST BACKED CARS IN THE WORLD" and the "10 year 160,000km powertrain warranty, not becasue we have to...but because we can"

Meh...

Quick Reply: Venting Post 1