Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Warning re removal of alloy wheels (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/warning-re-removal-alloy-wheels-27105/)

ronwill 04-23-2008 04:02 PM

Warning re removal of alloy wheels

Can I offer a word of warning to other owners of the outie?
My Uk spec Elegance is fitted with 18" alloys. Today I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and to remove the wheels to give them a spring clean and to check brake pads etc. I'm glad I decided to take the wheels off at home and not wait until I had a roadside puncture before trying to remove a wheel. I found that a reaction had started to take place already between the alloy wheels and the steel hubs; ( THE CAR IS ONLY 13 MONTHS OLD !!). They had started to 'weld' themselves together and I had to resort to using a 'Birmingham' screwdriver ...( lump hammer !) ...to remove the front ones.
Needless to say the mating surfaces have had a liberal coating of copperslip grease before the wheels were replaced so hopefully next removal of the wheels will be a bit easier.Can I suggest you check yours now before you get a roadside puncture etc?
Happy 'OUTINGS'
Ron

Outie08 04-23-2008 04:11 PM

RE: Warning re removal of alloy wheels

My Outie too have fitted with 18" alloys, will have to check my wheels this weekend !, thanks for the heads up.

Canuck 04-23-2008 06:49 PM

This happens on most vehicles, it's nothing to worry about

antlip 04-23-2008 09:11 PM

Nothing big to worry about. Give it a light kick next time. Like kick the tire to loosen the bond. Happen on all cars I owned. Even my outlander and I rotated the tires 2 times now.

ronwill 04-24-2008 02:22 PM

I appreciate that this is a common occurence, but what I had not appreciated was the fact that it could happen to such a 'young' car and to the extent to which it had happened.
It was not a case of ' kicking' the wheel off... I had to use a small sledge hammer on the inside of the wheel to remove it..... it meant getting down on the ground under the front of the car in order to do so!..... I dont normally carry that type of hammer with me andI dont know of anyone else who does !; I would not like to think that anyone could be caught out on a highway with a similar problem , that is whyI posted on this subject;

"Prevention is better than Cure !! "

Ron

RMUDBUGS 04-25-2008 02:58 PM

It's called regular tire rotations. You have had your car for 13 months and never rotated the tires? It should be done every 6K miles.

Sebba 04-25-2008 03:07 PM

Thats perfectly normal.