Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

What Oil Filter do you use for your Outtie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Default What Oil Filter do you use for your Outtie?

Just wondering. I've been using the little Bosch filter after I stopped going to the dealer for changes (after 18 months). No problems that I can detect so far but curious as to what everyone else uses.

I did search and found lots of discussions on the oil but nothing on the filter.

If anyone has recommendations, warnings or even a favorite online site for good prices, please do share.

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Default RE: What Oil Filter do you use for your Outtie?

Stick with a OEM filter. They don't cost any more, and you KNOW they are engineered correctly.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:41 AM

I use the M1-104 (Mobil) combined with Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w-20. Its a great combo, although each oil change runs me about $40, 10 for the filter and 30 for the 5q of oil, butfor a little peace of mind is verry well worth it. By the way you dont have to use synthetic with that filter, any conventional oil will work.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 PM

There are several pages with people cutting apart several brands and comparing them

All of them pretty much say anything but a Fram..but many or most have prefectly good luck with them

I'm a big fan of Purolator filters after doing alot of research. The PureOne has the highest filtering efficiency rating out of any filter. I also like the Purolator PremiumPlus and the WalMart SuperTech filters (made by Champion Labs).

Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM

1+ on the walmart supertech filters. Personally I use Walmart for my oil changes (only certain walmarts). They can grab the oil off the shelf there. No driving around to find a Castrol oil change place for me.

OTO27> Are you aware that mobil has changed their formulas, there has been some question as to whether the "reformulated" Mobil 1 is even considered full synthetic anymore. I have sportbikes and that has been the buzz lately. So basically if its not full syn anymore then the cutting it with dino percentages may want to be changed or eliminated.

And if you have found any docs and proof that it is still full synthetic I would appreciate a link so I can share the info with others.

Personally I use Castrol syn in my vehicles but not under 5K miles because its not broken in yet. And Shell Rotella syn in my bikes after theyve reached 6K.

Oil is a whole nother discussion

Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Banned

THREADJACK - Glad to see your still around: ) ^^

Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 PM

Define SyntheticLOL.

If you went by what Mobil claimed years ago (taking Castrol and their Syntec oil's to court over theirclaim of being synthetic), then Mobil 1 isn't a true synthetic..

Mobil 1 has started using Group III oilat least partially in their oils.

Group IIIoriginates as petroleum, but goes through a process called 'Hydrocracking' during refining..and the argument is that it changes the oil so much, that it's not natural. Group IV does not originate from petroleum

Old 06-18-2007, 04:56 PM

It was that they started using group III.
Trying to make sense of synthetic oils and the almost but not quite part of it makes my head hurt
After reading on Mobils website I got the impression that the motorcycle synthetic was the closest to true synthetic they make, however they leave out the friction modifiers because it affects the wet clutches. For that matter so does Shell Rotella syn.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Purolator filter is what I use. I have it on my outlander and chevelle.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 AM

That's a bit of a pain having to swap it each time you take a different car out isn't it? [8D]

Quick Reply: What Oil Filter do you use for your Outtie?