Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

When ignition is on a strange buzzing is heard. Is this noise normal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:05 PM
Default When ignition is on a strange buzzing is heard. Is this noise normal?

I noticed tonight as I was installing a backup cam that when the ignition is on there is a weird buzzing sound coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and the noise sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine around the valve covers area.

I don't recall noticing this before and I know that relays and stuff come on when you turn the ignition on but from what I recall they soon go off. This noise stayed on.

Anyone has any ideas? Is this normal? Does your Outie do this?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:06 PM

I did some investigation today on that buzzing noise and it's coming from the throttle position sensor. When I disconnect the plug to it the sound is gone.

I've done a throttle body replacement on a 94 Prelude before, anyone know how difficult it is to replace the throttle body on the Outie? Or will it be easier to just replace the sensor?

Old 08-14-2016, 04:26 PM

I took my throttle body off to clean it, it's not hard. Just keep removing the air intake parts until you get to it. There are a bunch of clips and stuff which hold wires in place. Then there's a small bracket which holds the throttle body up.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
I took my throttle body off to clean it, it's not hard. Just keep removing the air intake parts until you get to it. There are a bunch of clips and stuff which hold wires in place. Then there's a small bracket which holds the throttle body up.
Can anyone do me a favor and turn your ignition on, pop your hood and listen for a buzzing from the tps area. I just want to know if this is normal in outlanders, I don't have the noise coming from my 04 lancer (but it's not a drive by wire set up). I want to be sure before throwing money at it. Thanks

Old 08-28-2016, 11:35 AM

Bump!!

Old 04-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Can anyone do me a favor and check if their tps buzzes/humms when ignition is on.