Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Why did you buy an Outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Default RE: Why did you buy an Outlander?

1. What was your motivation for buying the outlander?
[blockquote][ol][*]Only vehicle in it's class with selectable 4wd that can be used at any speed (See answer #3)[*]seating for 7 (5 adults +2 children)[*]3,500lb towing capacity with no additional coolers or other add ons needed.[*]Cargo space[*]Styling (exterior)[*]Price[*]On Road handlin[*]10 yr / 100k warranty
[/ol][/blockquote] 2. Have you ever taken it off the pavement?
[blockquote]Yes - Hauling trailer full of firewood out of woods, plus other misc excursions.
[/blockquote] 3. Have you ever used the 4x4 lock feature?
[blockquote]Yes - When towing my boat, car dolly, in winter weather & when off road.
[/blockquote] 4. Do you use the paddle shifters or do you always keep it in auto drive?
[blockquote]Yes - mainly when down shifting coming to a stop.
[/blockquote] 5. If price wasn't a factor would you have purchased one of the similar Luxury brands that are close in design to the Outlander (porsha, lexus etc)
[blockquote]Not likely. Function over form here.
[/blockquote] 6. Now that you have your outlander and have had it for awhile if you could go back in time and get a different ride instead would you and if so what would it be.
[blockquote]Just had this discussion with my wife. I would not change what I bought. I did my homework before I bought and the Outlander is the only vehicle that fit all my requirements.
[/blockquote] 7. Do you think I am out of my mind for abusing my new car as much as I do?
[blockquote]No - Use it like it was intended to be used.
[/blockquote]

Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM

Survey! Love those! Here we go...

I am 27 and only have a wife to drive around.

We live in North West and love camping, hiking etc... so having a good universal (crossover) car was a must. I've considered every other option and I think the only close competitor to Outlander was Nissan Rogue, but it wasn't available when we bought Outlander and I didn't want to wait 3-4 months for it. I really wanted to like Rav4, but that side swinging heavy door was a turn off, it would be impossible to open it in a closed garage.

Excellent warranty
Excellent styling
Great bang for your buck, (although resale value is horrible if you don't plan to keep it for at least 5 years, 36% depreciation after 2 years based on edmunds long term test drive.

2. Have you ever taken it off the pavement?
gravel, snow. I consider 4x4 in Outlander as a safety option which is the same as AWD in a Subarus or Audi's and do people take them off the payment?

3. Have you ever used the 4x4 lock feature?
plenty of times, but mostly in heavy rain or when I wanted to accelerate quickly from a stop

4. Do you use the paddle shifters or do you always keep it in auto drive?
paddle shifters are awesome for braking, I use that frequently.

5. If price wasn't a factor would you have purchased one of the similar Luxury brands that are close in design to the Outlander (porsha, lexus etc)
Infinity EX35, but that also depends if mpg was good

6. Now that you have your outlander and have had it for awhile if you could go back in time and get a different ride instead would you and if so what would it be.
Had mine for over a year with 10k miles on it... nope, nothing interests me at the moment. Next replacement will be either a hybrid or electric which is

7. Do you think I am out of my mind for abusing my new car as much as I do?
No

Old 09-19-2008, 11:51 AM

1. a) Needed an AWD vehicle with good gas mileage
b) Great styling and unique-ness factor
c) Size and cargo space
d) Price and warranty
e)Towing capacity
f) Cool features -tailgate, MMCS/Nav, selectable AWD, paddle shifters

2. In the yard and haulroads, but nothing out of control or abusive
3. No
4. Some, primarily on winding roads and for downshift
5. Infiniti FX50 or Audi Q7 (not exactly this class)
6. N/A, this meets all of my needs
7. Yes, but i'm very particular about my vehicles and i need this one to last a long while

Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 PM

1. A syndrome of good mechanical & equipment features, looks & price
2. Yes, but I hated the Bridgestone tyres, good for pavement terrible for offroad (especially on sundy beaches here in Greece)
3. Yes, but nearly disastrous outcome, I was nearly stuck on soft sand, the ASC reported FAULT & auto disanged, after few minutes the Fault report on central screen vanished
but the whole thing let me wondering.....
4. I have the CVT version, always engaged to AUTO (don't like car's handling in 2 wheels mode) I use paddle shifters for braking in steep downhills, very effective brakingwise...
5. LEXUS Hybrid
6. FORD ESCAPE HYBRID but alas its not being exported to Greece (Use to have Escape 3.0 lit V6, great little SUV)
7. No, its your car so you can use it the way you want, isn't that so obvious??

Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 PM

I too am in the IT field and was looking for something comfortable had nav and bluetooth and could still fit a 6 foot ladder inside out of the weather. I've had my 2008 XLS 2x4 V6 for almost a year now and have 20k miles and still love it.

Price and features, power, ride and looks

Nope
Don't have it.

Occasionally use them, but factory tires are horrible for grip. They are almost wore out though, time for some better ones. Any suggestions?

5. If price wasn't a factor would you have purchased one of the similar Luxury brands that are close in design to the Outlander (porsha, lexus etc)
Possibly the Lexus

6. Now that you have your outlander and have had it for awhile if you could go back in time and get a different ride instead would you and if so what would it be.
Outlander with leather and sunroof

Your car, your money - - Enjoy it.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:17 AM

> for me is the safety

> nope

> yeah, once

> I don't have it

>I might be.... but, I already have my outie... so, better luck next time for them

>well, I think Qasqai (Nissan)

>never

Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Kju

I was actually closing a deal on a two year old Chrysler 300C 3.0 CRD Touring, but just before finalizing I realized it would take me at least 5 minutes to get this car out of my garage(I can't turn when backing up because of a wall next to my garage). Since I didn't like any other stationwagons (Audi A6, BMW 5-series are just horrible as stationwagons) and I really needed the space the next option was a midsize SUV. After checking out all the midsize SUV's the Outlander was my first choice (Santa Fe, smaller RAV4 and Captiva just didn't have enough room and all interiors were awful, imported Inifiti FX35 wasn't an option because I needed a diesel) and I got a great deal on a two month old demo Outlander so I didn't have to wait.
2. Have you ever taken it off the pavement? I'm in the Netherlands, everything is paved :S. I did some muddy and gravel roads in the mountains in Luxembourg and France, does that count?
3. Have you ever used the 4x4 lock feature? In the snow, just to be on the safe side.
4. Do you use the paddle shifters or do you always keep it in auto drive? I drive stick.
5. If price wasn't a factor would you have purchased one of the similar Luxury brands that are close in design to the Outlander (porsha, lexus etc) I would have definitely bought for a VW Touareg with a 3.0 V6 TDI (and since 2007 a 5.0 V10 TDI). At that price I would have found one but it would have been at least four to five years old.
6. Now that you have your outlander and have had it for awhile if you could go back in time and get a different ride instead would you and if so what would it be. Haven't tried one but the Ford Kuga seems nice.
7. Do you think I am out of my mind for abusing my new car as much as I do? No, everyone enjoys their car in their own way.