Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

why outlander lost value so fast ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Default why outlander lost value so fast ?

i want to know how they determine the value of a car with time, and why the outlander lost value so fast,
i have a 2008 outlander ls, and the value in the black book is only arround 17000 already.
i use to have a 2003 honda crv in 2006 and at the time still have a value of 23000.
i still have like 30 000 left to pay in my outlander, and the black book tell me is wort 17000 that not nice.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 PM

its a honda... more reliable name just like toyota
they know these two brands will still pull strong for a very very very long time
and i think in the begining the crv is more expensive than the outlander

Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 PM

Simply put, Honda and Toyota used vehicles are in more demand than Mitsubishi used vehicles so they will not depreciate as quickly as Mitsubishi vehicles do. Demand in the used car market determines how quickly, or slowly, a vehicle depreciates.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:55 PM

I agree on everyone's post. Mitsubishi makes reliable cars, but who knows? Toyota & Honda makes realible cars, who knows? Everybody does!

I think that people who buy Outlanders are people who keeps their vehicle for a long time, since it loses its value very quick. If you buy a brand new Outlander right now for $30,000, and drive it for maybe 3 months, you can sell it for maybe...$25000? Buy a Rav4 for the same price, and sell it for the same price in 3 months. Thank you for choosing Mitsubishi

Old 09-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Default Brand and Market Area

Just to add, in North American market there is no denying that Toyota and Honda have more brand value than Mitsubishi. However, it doesn't mean that Mitsubishi is less reliable than the two.

In my younger days when I was still in the Philippines, the resale value of Lancer is better than the Corolla and Civic. Not sure about now.

Just enjoy your Outlander. I prefer my Outie over my Honda and Acura. It has a better engine/transmission combo.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 AM

I agree, demand for a used Outlanders isn't that strong because you can buy a new Outlander for about the same price as a 2 years old CRV.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, you got a great value for the price you paid compared to what a new CRV would have cost.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:48 PM

there is no worry about the outlander because of the amazing warranty they give out
for me by the end of 10 years i would probably get a new car

Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 PM

Outlander is not the car to buy hoping that it will retain it's value, it's the car to buy and enjoy for a long time, or lease it another option. I was set to keep it for at least throughout it's bumper to bumper warranty and then sell it for whatever. Also, by that time (in 3 years) I am hoping that we'll see more efficient cars in CUV category.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:30 PM

You have to blame that Mitsubishi sell cars using incentives. Honda and Toyota did not do the trick to attract people to buy their cars. That's why the price of Mitsubishi cars can drop that much.
I got my brand new 07 Outlander LS in 2008 for just $19500. Seriously, I got it cheap! It is not XLS but it is definitely not ES! It is a 4WD and have many options ready to install! If you want to buy a brand new SUV and not the base car, you have to pay at least $23000 to get one. My friend got a new 07 Toyota Rav4 Limited in 2008 and paid like 22k-24k for one. I dunno the specification of her car but I can tell that she did not get it for really cheap.
Once I was driving with like 10 adults in my car at a campsite, with my tailgate opened. But my friend could not do that.
So, even if the selling price is dropping rapidly, don't sell it! Enjoy what you have right now! And everyone knows ppl like to use Mitsubishi cars for fun by making modifications. Outlander does not have many options for increase horse power or supercharge it at this time, but keep it for several more years, wait until Outlander can have its own performance kits like Lancer!
Anyway, the options for me, keep my outlander for hobby driving, and buy one more car for daily uses, may buy a Lancer at that time

Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Sticker on mine was $26K, a year later KBB lists $13K. WTF?

Quick Reply: why outlander lost value so fast ?