Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Are Winter Tyres for the UK Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Default Are Winter Tyres for the UK Worth It?

I have an 08 Outlander Diamond fitted with the 225/55/18 rims and Bridgestone Dueller HP Sport tyres which are rated as summer tyres. I live on the North Downs albeit within the M25 ring, but if it does snow then my area can catch a reasonable amount. Lat year saw downfalls in December of 8" and 12".

My question is, are winter tyres worth investing in or not. Put another way, is most of the work done by having the Outlander in 4wAuto or 4wLock or is it the tyres that make the difference to driving through snowy and icy conditions.

A supplementary question is does anyone know of any all season tyres that will fit this rim?

Thanks,

GT

Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 AM

4WD might help in getting to move but Tire do all the work when stopping or tracking.

Ice or hard packed snow is also only conquered by winter tire.

I know, I have 40 years of driving in Canada.

Finally, 7 degree C is the limit of adhesion for summer or 4 seasons. Below that, even on clear tarmac, they will slip a lot on braking or turning.

Last edited by Claude_A; 11-15-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 AM

if you don't get that much snow, and you would only have one set of wheels all year round, i would suggest checking out the NOKIAN WRG2SUV. they have the 225/55r18 you are looking for. i had these in my subaru forester and it fared well compared to regular all season tires. of course having a set of dedicated winter tire is still the best.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:29 AM

We put Bridgestone Duellers A??? all-season tires on our 16" rims. That vehicle is an animal in the snow. If I were you, I'd try the first winter using the Lock position and see how that goes. As always, be sensible and carefull...but the 4wd system of the outlander is awesome. I'd even say better than my Ranger's system...which does very well in deep snow.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM
ndj

Interesting question. My initial response would have been "no" based on several years in a Honda CR-V with "regular" tyres (Bridgestone Dueller) in Scottish winter snow.

However, compared to the CR-V, which has a simple 4x4 system but moves off, changes direction and stops very well in UK snow, the Outlander is a pig.

The main problem is changing direction and stopping. It's not good. I had several scary moments last winter. I'm guessing the tyres are simply too wide.

On that basis it's probably a good idea to get yourself a second hand set of wheels and fit more appropriate tyres for regular snow use.

However, saying that, how many weeks are you likely to use them each year where you are located?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ndj
Interesting question. My initial response would have been "no" based on several years in a Honda CR-V with "regular" tyres (Bridgestone Dueller) in Scottish winter snow.

However, compared to the CR-V, which has a simple 4x4 system but moves off, changes direction and stops very well in UK snow, the Outlander is a pig.

The main problem is changing direction and stopping. It's not good. I had several scary moments last winter. I'm guessing the tyres are simply too wide.

On that basis it's probably a good idea to get yourself a second hand set of wheels and fit more appropriate tyres for regular snow use.

However, saying that, how many weeks are you likely to use them each year where you are located?
In Canada the usual outlander winter setup is 16" steel wheels with 215-70-16 winter tire.
Once you tasted winter tire you can't go without at least in cold temperature and in lousy weather (snow, sleet, icing rain, slush etc).

This should give you summer tire a break and make them last longer.
Also Aluminium wheel don't like salt at all.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Winter Tires don't even compare to all seasons in snow/ice/slush

Makes 100% difference. For those that say all seasons are ok, you havent used a winter tire.

Also 4wd doesn't help you stop.

Wanted to add...

I actually only need winter tires for that once or twice when its snowing and you really need control or too stop. Happened once last year, tires saved me from sliding into an intersection. worth the $600 Investment IMHO.

Last edited by ryandlor; 09-02-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added
Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Thank you to all of you for your replies. I am minded towards switching to winter tyres because:
1) I suspect my specific summer tyres are just not going to me any level of performance in bad and cold weather - some others might give a little more performance.
2) My current tyres are at 5mm front and 4mm rear so it's not time to throw these away just yet.
3) I can't find all season tyres for this rim anyways.

@Claude_A - point taken on tracking and braking and a reminder to me that I had a scary moment in cold wet weather getting the car to stop following some mad motorway driving.

@kalayaan - I would have considered that option if my tyres needed to be replaced soon but I don't do huge mileage so another summer season beckons for them. I am however interested in the winter variant.

@ccernst - I really want to be sure on this one so I think I'll take the leap into winter tyres anyway. In the UK, the Outlander 4WD has been compared to the Nissan X-Trail which is sector leading.

@ndj - My friend has a Mk II CRV and it was awesome in the snow last year. I think the difference is the stock summer tyres for the Outlander don't work as well as those for the CRV which are Bridgestone H/T with a larger tyre profile.

@ryandlor - It's got to be a good investment if it delivers that kind of safety and it's probably a questionable position to have bought a 4WD capable vehicle that can't make advantage of it in bad cold weather - which is when it needs it most!

Thanks,

GT

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Default Winter Tyres for I have an 08 Outlander Diamond

This is my first posting and I live in Kent (South East England).
I have an 08 Outlander Diamond fitted with Bridgestone Dueller HP 225/55/R18 98/V summer tyres. I have spent many hours over the past 18 months trying to decide what options there are for winter tyres (as I find the Duellers not very good over the past two bad winters)
This 18" tyre size is not very popular and options appear to be very limited if the 98/V rating is to be maintained - is using a second set of 16" rims with 215/70/R16 100/H tyres a sensible option - but again what winter tyres are available that conform to the MIT spec ?

Lord Bahamut I would be very keen to find out what you did re. winter tyres/rims and were you made the purchase.

many thanks for any help/advice
Brian B

Last edited by brianbug; 11-15-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Don't worry too much about the speed rating as it is a function of how resistant to internal heat a tire is (also centrifuge force) and in the winter they just don't heat up like in the summer.

Note that 215/70 r16 is the tire delivered on less opulent Outlander in Canada and the dealers sell them with steel wheel as winter package.

Also I don't think you will be doing 210 Km/H on ice, in snow of frozen tarmac.

Finally the higher aspect ratio will prove itself a comfortable option when the tires are really cold and save your denture from rattling.

Since UK also use salt on the roads, check for steel wheels they will last much longer.

Quick Reply: Are Winter Tyres for the UK Worth It?