Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Wire harness and cargo cover came today

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Default Wire harness and cargo cover came today

I got the OEM harness for the hitch today. This thing has a good size, um black box in the wire harness. There are 3 parts to this entire harness by the way. One section has a ipod size black box. Has wires going into both sides with 2 labels.
Says trailer output with white-ground, brown-tail/mark, light green-left turn, dark green-right turn.
Vehicle input ground-white, brown-tail, left turn-yellow, skiny red-brake, green-right turn, big red-battery.
2.1 amps left turn circuit
2.1 amps right turn circuit
7.5 amps tail light circuit
I will take a picture for those trying to wire up a harness if it helps. Plus I will scan the directions to install it if that would help anyone.
This harness also has a huge gromit that you have to put into the car above your muffler which is going to be fun.

The cargo cover with the seats adjust right covers the entire trunk. It went right in and fits pretty tight. I like it. I also read online that it has a place by the 3rd row seat you can store it? I am going to do more playing around with it tomorrow.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Wire harness and cargo cover came today

Sounds good, interested in knowing how that cargo cover stores. Take some pics of course.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 PM

Ill take some color pictures of the install of the wireharness since the ones that came with it are crappy black and white ones. Yea im curious how it will fit too looks kind of big to be storing in the hole with the seats.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:30 PM

With the cargo cover you can't "store" it in backif you have the subwoofer. There are 2 "plugs" in back just off the floor, (they look like the ones in sits in usually) but when the subwoofer is installed it covers one so you have to leave the cover in either of the plugs up top.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:30 PM
tcp

Did you get the OEM wiring harness? If so, did it come with the small wire with a fuse to install up front to connect to the battery. Where did you buy it? Online?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 AM

Sorry my dad gave me a hand putting it in so he rushed me. I am going to take a few pictures today. Its all really basic. Yes there is a wire you connect in the engine bay. You find a grey male end with a fake female end that is tucked under the drivers head light. It will be taped to another wire. You plug 1 of the wires that come with the OEM harness to that and the other end you put onto the positive battery post, it comes with an eyelet already on it. It is fusedalready.I will have a picture of this later today. Then you go to the rear in the jack compartment and remove the little cup hold kind of thing on the wheel well. There will be a plug in the wheel well with tape on it that you plug your second wire harness into and screw the eyelet to the frame with a screw they provide into an exisiting hole in the wheel well. So far its cake and really easy. You feed this second harness behind the jack into that compartment. This second harness has the big relay box (I will take a picture of) that you peel the sticky tape off and slap it to the wall. Second harness done. The third harness is the tricky one. The directions have you removing the exhaust and the lower body panel. I on the other hand layed on my back and seen the groment between the exhaust and lower body panel plain as day. (If the correct one haha)It let right into the jack compartment so I used it. Take it out by hand its just rubber.You feed the 3rd harness with the groment into the hole and connect it to the second harness with the femal and male ends already installed. You push the groment into the hole and feed the end to your trailer hitch and your done. NOTE: if you bought an aftermarket hitch like from etrailer.com and you have the spot where you attach the wireharness on the left side of the trailer hitch you will need to buy an extension kit. The oem hitch has the spot on the right side of the trailer hitch. So you end up about 12inches short.

The only reason I can see the directions having your remove that lower body panel. The plastic piece that is lowest to the ground is to feed the wire harness around. I just tucked it away neatly and wire tied it away from the muffler. Once your laying on your back fishing the wire around you will find the best way to run it. Not exactly rocket science.

I bought it from http://www.mitsuaccessories.com/ so far this place has the best prices that I can find. 65$ and theres no splicing cutting sodering or anything. You put connectors together, screw 1 bolt in, put 1 gromet in and zip tie wires together. You dont have to worry about did I splice the right wire or pray it doesnt short out your electrical system over saving 20$ at your local parts store.

I will also scan the directions and try to post them.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Well firebuck is right. The sub hides the other holes to store the cover.

Here are some pics of the actual harness in place. I did my best to label it so you could figure out where it is.

Just showing the sides switched for mounting the 4 pin connector.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6177/45B362EB6AC247298DFCD2F561F5582F.jpg[/IMG]

This picture is from the ground straigh up looking next to the muffler.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6177/2A798E3F049449FAA6D69C4F08C7B513.jpg[/IMG]

Looking into the engine bay you see the grey connector tucked under the head light. There will be a fake end plugged into it with no wires coming out of it. You cant miss it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6177/3C3F55DDC2FE4DE58442D60334EBA980.jpg[/IMG]

Inside the cover ontop of the wheel well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6177/493F22854A104598BBDABD9E533F385D.jpg[/IMG]

The box behind the jack. I dont know exactly what its call but I am assuming it connects the tail lights to match the trailer lights. I guess its a junction box.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6177/8C2F757182914671846E1369DB48901D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Here is the actual step by step instructions. The files were scanned and too big to upload all on one reply. When I downsized them they were too small to read. I could only figure out how to post 1 per reply using the "add image" button. Sorry it was the best I could do. Atleast they all are loaded up.
Name:  Scan0011.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  114.9 KB

Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Name:  Scan0012.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  69.9 KB

Old 09-09-2007, 11:17 AM

Name:  Scan0014.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  86.0 KB

If you go this route. Step 13 is where you take the lower half of the bumper off and if you have mud flaps that has to come off too.

Quick Reply: Wire harness and cargo cover came today