Mitsubishi Raider The sybling truck to the Dodge Dakota, this sporty pickup combines versatility with economy.

What is a bent rear end and how much to replace?

Old 09-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Default What is a bent rear end and how much to replace?

I bought my 08 Mitsubishi Raider double cab 3.7 L 4 X4 back in May. It is a salvaged rebuilt title, and yes I know that was probably my first mistake but it is what it is. Anyway, so shortly after I got it it was due for an oil change so I had the tires rotated too. It had a slight pull to the left but nothing major. Well the technician noticed a tire was really worn irregular, pretty chewed up actually. Couple weeks later I decided to just buy 4 new tires and get it aligned. Well the tire shop botched the alignment the first time cuz it went from pulling left to pulling right. Had to take it back to have it redone. They did say that my rack n pinion had abnormal play and needed replaced. So I took it to a shop here in town and they said it wasn't the rack n pinion, it needed a whole new front end: tie rods, control arms, the works, for 1800. Well I decided to get yet another opinion so I took it to a different tire shop. They said the front end was fine, it just needed an alignment...which I already had done. By this point I'm getting really irritated with all the different opinions on what's wrong. Finally today I took it to a collision center to have it looked at since they specialize in wrecked vehicles. I gave them all this run around back ground and the mechanic said he would take a look. I did give him the printout of the alignment to show what was supposedly done and where the numbers were at. He said the numbers on the front looked okay but noticed that there was something wrong with the numbers for the back tires. So he took the truck in to look it over. 15 minutes later he comes back and says my front end is fine, nothing but a little play in components but should last another 50000 miles, but I need a new rear end, that my rear end is bent and off by 1/2". I asked what that would cost and he said it depends on if I go with a new or used one but roughly if I went used it'd run 1200-1500 but he would do some checking and get an estimate wrote up, which I am waiting to receive. So....what does he mean? Is he talking about the entire rear end assembly, or just one side shaft, or both? I had to look it up to see what he was talking about but frankly I am still confused. I know the alignment showed my back left was 0.0 and my back right was 0.34. So if anyone can help on giving info, advice, etc. that would be really appreciated. Thanks!