New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Intermittent stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 01:10 PM
Default Intermittent stalling

Can anyone help? My02 plate galant( 20 years old) stalls every 4/5 days.. fires u again for a split second, but then no throttle response and dies. After maybe 20 goes, it starts and I can drive off.. fuel pump relay bypassed straight to ignition already so not that. New plugs just put in too.. air flow sensor cleaned too.. please help if you’ve had this problem .. many thanks in advance

Old 01-27-2021, 08:51 AM

You didn't mention if the check engine light came on or have any error codes. If not I would rule out ignition problems. Sounds as if it's a fuel problem. Had two different cars that produced the same problem. First one was the fuel pump itself. Took about a month to figure it out. It would run for days then all of sudden sputter and want to die, then run again for several days. Replaced the pump and problem went away. Another car it was water in the gas. Not sure where you live, but this time of year it happens. Water is heavier than gasoline, so it will stay at the bottom of your gas tank. Most vehicles do not pump gas from the very bottom of the tank into the fuel system, but if the tank is nearly empty the vehicle may pull in the water.