Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   New Members Area (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/new-members-area-4/)
-   -   New from Denver (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/new-members-area-4/new-denver-30334/)

zoriloco 12-02-2008 12:47 PM

New from Denver

Hello to Everyone,

Im not really a Mitsubishi guy, always wanted to have a nice eclipse but thats pretty much it. Im more a Jeep guy and Jeeps did satisfy all my needs up until the wife and I received the blessing of a New baby.

Now we cant fit anything in the Jeep, When we go to the grociery store the baby has to ride in the back with a pile of plastic bags next to her. Its just not working. I really love to 4wheel so we aint getting rid of the Jeep but we will be needing an SUV, I have always liked the Monteros, specially the 95 Gen (feels more off road capable) Any how, we'll be getting ready to buy a new vehicle and I would like to hear your opinions on the different gen of Monteros ( 95 and up). What to look for, what to stay away from, Does any Montero come with Factory Lockers, Axel sizes, hight clearance, VERY IMPORTANT... What Year Montero has more aftermarket support for lifts, armor since since at some point we will also be wheeling it.

Thanks a lot and I hope its not to much to ask.

Alan

[hr]

carlover626 12-03-2008 09:16 AM

RE: New from Denver

Welcome to the forums, I think you decided to ask the right questions and I will answer what I can. I am in Denver too, so your post caught my eye. I am guessing you are coming from a Wrangler?

I have an 02 Sport, and I can tell with certainty that some Montero's/Sports did come with a factory locker in the rear. And I believe ARB makes a front locker. I have heard Mitsubishi axels be compared to a D-44, but I have no personal information on that.

As far as aftermarket stuff, I know many people make their own sliders/bumpers and have seena fewdo a SAS. Old Man Emu makes a lift for the Montero's, not sure on the models and years though. These are truely great off-road vehicles even in stock form...can keep up with the modded Jeeps and Toys out on the trail.

Some more for places to check for this type of info, other than the Montero section here:
www.monterosportonline.com
www.4x4wire.com

zoriloco 12-03-2008 11:00 AM

Thanks a lot bro, really appreciate the info and the links, I'll be checking them out later on today.

Yes, right now I ride a 99 Wrangler (TJ) I was considering a Toy 4Runner but I was checking out prices and Montero's are at a very decent price.

carlover626 12-03-2008 12:32 PM

Yeah, I find that the resale isn't so great on the Montero's...nada and kbb tell me 5-7K for my 02 Sport (LS, no locker or lsd, 3.0L)with 104K miles. The engines/tranny are stout unless neglected.Seen many people with 200k+ miles.

You need to know service history- T-belt interval is 60K miles (interference engine), tranny fluid every 30K, and valve stem seals wearoutas mileage increases,so theengine will smoke as it burns oil. There are two engineoptions, the 3.0L and the 3.5L which is basically the 3.0. Some of the older Montero's did have the 5spd tranny <95 I think.

zoriloco 12-03-2008 12:58 PM

Ive posted in some other forums but no responses yet. We'll see.