Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-25/)
-   -   ADVANCED TURBO QUESTION (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-25/advanced-turbo-question-10507/)

tecni 05-12-2006 02:18 AM

ADVANCED TURBO QUESTION

Ok so I'm new to this forum but I've been at g35driver.com and my350z.com for a while now. I know, I know... I don't own an evo but I came to this forum seeking info I couldn't find on my own forums.

To make a long story short, I have a greddy TT kit on my G35 coupe and they were leaking a few months ago and I had them rebuilt and balanced but now are leaking again. As some or many of you my already know, this kit comes with Mitsubishi TD05-18G turbos.
I believe the stock turbo on the EVO is a TD05-16G. Are these two interchangeable? Meaning, can I take an 16g and put my exhaust housing from the 18g (I would do that because my 18g has 3 holes to bolt up to the downpipe and I think the 16g has 4 holes).

Are these parts interchangeable? Does the exhaust housing from an 18g fit a 16g? Is the 16g smaller (in external dimensions) than the 18g?

Why do I wanna go with a smaller turbo? Because my stock engine can only take about 7 psi before I break a rod and I would't need anything more than 15psi if I built my motor. Oh yeah and buying just the turbos from greddy is ridiculously expensive and I know alot of you upgrade your turbos and I might be able to buy them here for alot less.

Could this be done??

I'd appreciate any and everybody's 2 cents!

EMonz57 05-12-2006 02:32 AM

RE: ADVANCED TURBO QUESTION

It is possible its the same, The 16G can be upgraded to a 18 or 20G by only replacing the compressor wheel and keeping the housing the same. EVOs have a few different 16G varieties that come stock the 03-04s have a 9.8mm hotside and the 05s have a 10.5hotside the 06s im not possitive ive heard they come with 20Gs and also heard they are large 16Gs.

Really im not possitive if it is the same do you have pics of your 18G? maybe post it up and I can try to compare to mine

tecni 05-12-2006 02:49 AM

OK... well unfortunately I don't have ALOT of turbo pics but here is what I have from when I took them apart...

http://i3.tinypic.com/zin5ax.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/zim9m9.jpg

I'm looking for a closeup of the exhaust end...

Hope these help for now.

notfried 05-12-2006 02:52 AM

what're they leaking?

i believe that if both the exhaust wheels are the same,both tdo5 or or tdo5h,then they will fit,but you will have to get new intake housings machined for the s16g...both the super 16g,and 18g flow 550cfm @ 15lbs of boost...i think the s16g will get there faster ,but the 18g can hold alot more boost.you can always find any used 12a Mitsu housings and have them machined to fit the wheels for a very cheap price.i betcha this place will quote you a very good price for a couple of s16g's with your cores.lots of Starion/Conquest enthusiasts are pleased with products/prices/shipping.

http://www.trilogyturbos.com/

tecni 05-12-2006 03:07 AM

well, I'm not really looking for more psi capability or a faster spool up. I mean hey, if the end result is faster then good but I'm really just trying to resolve the leak issue without having to spend a &*^(*& of money. Brand new turbos are $1,400!?!

The turbos are leaking because of what I believe to be bad oil return flow. Tomorrow I have an appointment with Titan Motorsports to try and expand all my lines to dash 12 fittings. I have dash 10 right now but I think this is the only thing that could be making the turbos leak. Wierd thing about all of this is that the kit was engineered by Greddy to work fine yet my lines are not kinked or anything but the turbos keep leaking.

Maybe I get the lines expanded tomorrow and the leak is fixed but I still have my doubts. THat's why I'm on here anticipating the worst.

slow420a 05-12-2006 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: notfried

what're they leaking?

i believe that if both the exhaust wheels are the same,both tdo5 or or tdo5h,then they will fit,but you will have to get new intake housings machined for the s16g...both the super 16g,and 18g flow 550cfm @ 15lbs of boost...i think the s16g will get there faster ,but the 18g can hold alot more boost.you can always find any used 12a Mitsu housings and have them machined to fit the wheels for a very cheap price.i betcha this place will quote you a very good price for a couple of s16g's with your cores.lots of Starion/Conquest enthusiasts are pleased with products/prices/shipping.

Their leaking oil, he is talking about changing it with the guts of a evoIII16g, much bigger than a s16g so he wouldnt have to machine anything.

Yes the 16g "guts" will fit in the 18g. What I am curious about is where its exactly leeking? Off the an fiting for the oil lines? the seals on the inside of the turbos? Either way from what you described *if* it were a flow problem; a smaller set of guts would impeed the flow of oil more causing more leeking... in that case your solution would be to get a larger set of guts like those of a 20g.

If you were to go with a 16g; it will get their(8psi) faster than the 18g, but at that low boost your running you should be pretty well off in the respect that the turbo wont fall flat on its face. You will lose some peak hp, but gain more at the bottom end. All I can say is get some sticky tires and a good suspension, becuase your traction problem isant going to get any better.

Sebba 05-12-2006 11:59 AM

My brother has a G35... he was thinking about the TT kit or the stillen stage 3 supercharger. After reading up on the 2 it was clear the supercharger was the better of the 2. Plus the hood that comes with it is awesome because it wont fit under the stock hood.

tecni 05-12-2006 12:04 PM

THey are leaking internally. Meaning the oil is being pushed passed the seals in the inside of the turbo.

Good point about going smaller. Maybe a bigger turbo will dump the excess oil quicker than the 18g. Hmmmm food for thought!

Traction is decent. I have 275's in the rear and tein flex coilovers. Best 1/4 mile time was 12.9 @ 109 mph with those toyo t1r.

slow420a 05-12-2006 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: tecni

Traction is decent. I have 275's in the rear and tein flex coilovers. Best 1/4 mile time was 12.9 @ 109 mph with those toyo t1r.
Not bad at all, what was your 60'?

tecni 05-12-2006 12:16 PM

I personally like the supercharger kit for the VQ35de engine but I'm not too excited about that hood with the bump. I live for that sleeper look. LOL