Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

INFINITE BOOST...HELP!! 16g WAY overboosting

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Default INFINITE BOOST...HELP!! 16g WAY overboosting

Ive got a 97 spyder. Installed a ported and clipped 16g turbo I got off of ebay. It was sent from SBR. Im certain I hooked everything up right but Im getting "infinite boost" Its like the Wastegate if jacked or something. I have to feather the throttle to stop the boost from reaching dangerous levels.ITS BRAND NEW!. I hooked a line to a manual vac pump and help 25lbs and no movement in the WG. I did the same to my old turbo(t-25) which was working fine and no Movement? Wastegate jacked??? any ideas?? Ill provide pics for help.

Thanks
Austin

Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: INFINITE BOOST...HELP!! 16g WAY overboosting

I'm not too knowledgeable in the turbo area but I wouldn't think the vac on the wastegate would tell you if it's jacked or not... Have you tried manually actuating the WG? See if anything is binding? Check the WG rod length... I'll ask on the other board I'm on to see if there is a way to test a WG... Get back to you in a bit.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

All right I got a response on the other forum I'm on I'll keep posting as I get more:

Turbo wastegate actuators work from PRESSURE, not vacuum. I don't know of a hand vacuum pump that makes pressure. An air compressor, SLOWLY and CAREFULLY dialed up from zero psi to 12 or so max (on a StarQuest wastegate actuator at least, probably most production cars) should make the pushrod extend.

Common boost control issues:
mis-routed vac hoses, especially if some sort of manual or electronic boost controller is added.
vac leaks letting boost pressure escape from the wastegate actuator/hose
Wastegate assembly (exhaust side of turbo) is either too small or is jammed shut. Too-small is common on hopped-up remanufactured turbos.
External wastegate assemblies: too-small exhaust pipe on the wastegate.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:46 AM

Check the waste gate door, make sure that the door is opening when you push the rod its self. Also check your vac hoses and make sure that their run right(compressor housing directly to wastegate). Also if that dosent fix the problem you can call up a company like hahnracecraft that sell wastegates for the 16g at about 120.... or if you have a piece of steel rod and a mig/tig welder just cut and extend the rod. But doing it that way wont let you controle the amout of boost that the turbo will make. If your instrested in welding the arm shoot me a pm and I will send you a link.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 AM

A friend of mine had that problem, and he tried to baby it with his throttle.. But he finally pushed it to far and burnt up his turbo... I drove it for a while and its fun to drive like that but you have to watch the boost gauge constantly to make sure it doesnt get to much... And his was because his wastegate was stuck open...

Old 04-23-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

A friend of mine had that problem, and he tried to baby it with his throttle.. But he finally pushed it to far and burnt up his turbo... I drove it for a while and its fun to drive like that but you have to watch the boost gauge constantly to make sure it doesnt get to much... And his was because his wastegate was stuck open...

You cant "burn up" a turbo from too much boost... you can melt a piston or 4.

If the wastegate was stuck open he would make a very low psi because the exaust gas would have a place to escape and bypass the turbine wheel, where if it were stuck close it would over boost and the exuast gas would be forced to spin the turbine wheel.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:25 AM

Ya, then it was stuck... My bad.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM

ok bro I have the answer 99.99% sure this is it. on the wastegate actuator the end of it should be threaded with a nut holding the end of it in place take the actuator off whear it meets the turbo loosen that nut ( youll need to put a pair of vice grips on the end and a 10ml open end box wrench on the nut)unscrew the end of the actuator until you are able to just barely push the end of it abck on the turbo tighten the nut replace the cotter pin and make sure all the vacume lines are connected. I bought the same turbo and had the same prob. this fixed it.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Please read the dates before posting, this thread is almost two years old.