Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

turbo charging a non-turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 02:35 PM
Default turbo charging a non-turbo?

Yeah, I prob shoulda' bought a gst or gsx in the first place, but I'm interested in turning my '96 eclipse spyder gs (4g64 engine) into a turbo...but I really don't know that much about the process or what parts I need to support the turbo, but willing and wanting to learn.</P>

If turboing seems too complicated for this engine or too expensive, maybe someone can tell me what parts I can buy and install just to make it faster...</P>

Thanks all</P>

Old 05-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Default RE: turbo charging a non-turbo?

the problem w/ turbo install on a non turbo car is all the other things you have to upgrade that you don't think about. you can probably get a turbo added for around $1500-3000 but then you got to beef up the trans and axles and brakes because your car wasn't made for that much horsepower so your upgrade goes up another $1500-3000 easy. your basic n/a upgrades will give you better throttle response, more torque and more horsepower at a fraction of the cost. If you've got the money go for it otherwise good intake,ignition,exhaust,throttle bodies and injecters will get you started.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 AM

madmat is very right. most people don't think about the tranny and axles, and brakes cause it slips their mind that their car wasn't made for that much power. my buddy has a gst with a 20g ( and all other components ) well, we were at the track the other day and when he pulled into 2nd he blew a hole the size of a quarter in his tranny. it was wicked as hell, but that just goes to show. what he did was have a guy rebuild a GSX tranny (they are WAY stronger due to the AWD factor) and now it runs like a charm, but that was about $1100. add $800 for brake upgrades and you've already doubled the cost of your turbo kit. but if you have the money man... there is NOTHING better than rollin up in an RS and kickin a mustangs ***! cause they are like... WTF!? hahahah

Old 06-11-2004, 01:39 AM

It costs a lot and then u have to get a new computer to make it work on your engine.

Old 08-29-2004, 09:58 PM

i have a 420a i was wondering what sites i can find a good tranny that can hold more power possilbly maybe a six speed. and a site where i can beef up my axles

Old 09-20-2004, 09:23 PM

sorry, no idea.......... how much are you pushing on that engine, cause if you dont have any major mods yet, you shouldnt need to upgrade the tranny yet, id worry about the engine first, the tranny can hold its own untill you hit probly around 200 hp crank......... then you might need to upgrade it....... i believe its the same tranny as the gs, which is a 2.0 4g63 compared to the 1.8 ltr 420a

Old 09-22-2004, 01:59 PM

Whoa whoa whoa, i can't believe i missed this one. I am a firm believer in the power potential of any 2g spyder gs. They can handle as much power as any 4g63 with just some forged pistons and *maybe* a head swap. The 420a comes in 2 flavors, the 2.0liter and the 2.4liter. The 4g6 block also comes in a 2.0liter and a a 2.4liter. The 2.0liter is the 4g63, the 2.4 is called the 4g64. Now, the 420a in any TEL was always the 1998cc DOHC version. The 4g63 of course came in the turbo TEL cars. However, the 4g64 was only offered in the 96-99 Spyder GS(we're talking original DSM, TEL). Turbocharging a spyder gs is as simple as gathering oem 1st gen or 2nd gen turbo components and slapping it on. Every 4g63 component(except pistons) can fit on the 4g64, even the ecu's are interchangeable. Of course you can only use certain 2g components when applicable, like the obd2 ecu and knock sensor i believe, but those things are very plentiful and still cheap. The transmissions for the 4g64 and 4g63 are slightly different, but still very much the same. The 4g63 came with the F5M33 mitsubishi made transmission, while the 4g64 came with the F5M31. Notice only the last digit is different, and they say the last digit is the strength rating of the transmission. It's not all that much weaker. A note on how to break down mitsu transmissions: the "F" stands for front wheel drive while a "W" stands for AWD, the "5" means the gear number, of course 5 *forward* gears, the "M" stands for Manual and an "A" stands for automatic, and the last two numbers are supposedly strength rating of the transmission...nobody knows for sure really. So an EVO or GSX automatic would carry an W4A33 while the manual version would be a W5M33. Anyways, the gears are interchangeable in ALL versions of the transmissions, so mix and match to your delight. As for the 420A tranny, Mopar did briefly make a six speed manual transmission while the R/T's and ACR's were dominating their class in SCCA, but ceased production. I think it was only sold to certified race teams, so finding one that hasn't been wrung out might be a challenge. Now going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed is not as cool as you might think. If i were drag racing, i prefer a 5 speed any day of the week. If i'm autocrossing, a 6 speed may do me some good. However, for daily driving, i prefer a 5 speed or even automatic(I'm like superlazy sometimes, most of the time). Be aware that in most transmissions that were 5 speeds and became six speeds(Y2k Celica GT and then GTS, Ford Focus and then SVT) the 6th gear ratio is often the same as the 5 gear ratio of the 5 speed, so no increase in top speed. Once again, strength is dependant on the manufacturer, but the 420a's are said to have a very strong transmission. There is a racer out there that drives a race prepped NA 1996 neon and is putting down i think close 350hp to the wheels and still runs a FACTORY AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!! I don't know if he upgraded the torque converter or not, but seriously i don't think he did. I forget his name, but he used to build drag bikes also, it's a green neon that he drives. 420a's are reputed for having weak axles....so refocus on those. But just have fun.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:11 AM

I was wondering if you have the 2.0l from lets say a gs and slap a turbo on it all you really have to do is get the full exhaust, intake, ecu, boost gauge and your basicaly a gs-t? The transmission should be the same along with the pistons and rods right or am i wrong?

Old 09-29-2004, 02:37 PM

smartoss, it depends on which 2.0 you get and from which car. The 2.0 from the 1g(89-94) TEL is a 4g63 and *can* be roughly made into a gst describing the method you stated(just missing a few parts). The 2.0 from the 2g(95-99) cars are different from the 4g63 and nothing at all will really bolt up between the two.

Old 10-17-2004, 03:07 PM

My buddy just installed the hahnsmotorsport turbo kit and full exhaust on his 97 RS. The kit came with everything he needed to do the swap and the kits made for a RS. He got new injectors, fuel pump, exhaust manifold, wastegate, intercooler, breather, fuel rail, intake, and other stuff i cant remember. I road with him yesterday and that thing will fly now, still isnt as fast as my 93 MR2 turbo, but he's puttin out about 220 to the wheels. All together with the exhaust it ran him around $4500 i think. The exhaust itself was $1300 but you wouldnt need to buy the exhaust too. We installed it ourselves and it took two days of working on and off to install. Its a really great complete kit with good instructions and it made to work with a stock setup besides with what comes in the kit.

Quick Reply: turbo charging a non-turbo?